|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Learn more about corporations VOTING to rewrite our laws.
Dan Knodl is a Republican State Assembly Representative from Wisconsin. He represents the state's 24th Assembly District. Knodle was first elected to the Assembly 2008 and was reelected 2010.
Knodl was reelected on November 6, 2012.
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
Knodl iis a member of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and sits on ALEC's Health and Human Services Task Force. He is also an alternate in ALEC's Public Safety and Elections Task Force.
In 2010, Rep. Knodl accepted $500 each from ALEC corporate members Verizon and AT&T.. In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Rep. Knodl co-authored 5 bills that reflect ALEC models, according to an analysis by the Center for Media and Democracy.
What is ALEC?
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our ExposedbyCMD.org site.
ALEC bills supported
2011 Regular Session - bills sponsored and co-sponsored:
- Sponsored AB 51 (Charter School Reform) - compare to ALEC model bill the Charter Schools Act (pdf), ALEC's Next Generation Charter Schools Act (pdf), and ALEC's Virtual Public Schools Act (pdf).
- Sponsored AB 6 (Capital Gains) - phases out taxation of capital gains. Compare to ALEC model legislation "Capital Gains Tax Elimination Act" (pdf)
- Sponsored AB 69 (Castle Doctrine) - Compare to ALEC's model bill, the Castle Doctrine Act(pdf), which was also approved by the NRA.
- Sponsored AB 7 (Voter ID) - Compare to ALEC's Voter ID Act
- Co-sponsored SB 10 (Capital Gains) - See AB 6, above.
- Co-sponsored SB 22 (Charter School Reform - see AB 51, above). Co-sponsored this bill with Alberta Darling.
- Co-sponsored SB 6 (Voter ID) - also see AB 7 - Compare to ALEC's Voter ID Act
- Co-sponsored AB 79 (Castle Doctrine) - Compares to ALEC's model bill, the Castle Doctrine Act(pdf), approved by the NRA
Bills voted for:
- AB 40 (2011-2013 Biennial Budget) - compare to ALEC's Title Pledge Act (pdf), ALEC's Public Employees Portable Retirement (PRO) Act (pdf), ALEC's Alternative Methods of Court Appearances Act (pdf) and ALEC's Anti-Crime (Secured Release) Act(pdf)
- AB 7 (Voter ID) - Compare to ALEC's Voter ID Act
- AB 94 (School Choice) - the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program - compare to ALEC's Parental Choice Scholarship Accountability Act
- AB 11 (Budget Repair Bill) - Compare to ALEC's Public Employee Freedom Act (pdf) and ALEC's model Public Employer Payroll Deduction Policy Act(pdf)
- AB 5 (Supermajority) - requires a supermajority to pass tax increases. Compare to ALEC's model Super-Majority Act(pdf)
- State of Wisconsin Wisconsin State Legislature - Legislator Biography Dan Knodl, state legislature website, accessed August 1, 2011
- Wisconsin Vote, 2012 Election Results, accessed November 27, 2012.
- Democracy Addicts Recipient: Dan Knodl, Follow the Money database, accessed August 1, 2011
- Democracy Addicts Dan Knodl, Project SmartALEC/Wisconsin legislators. Database. Accessed August 1, 2011