Chris de Freitas
background=CBE3AA | border=339933 | image=/images/3/35/Climatechangewords.jpg | width=100 | height=90| title=Portal:Climate Change | link=Portal:Climate Change | text=Learn more from the Center for Media and Democracy's research on climate change.}}
Chris de Freitas is an Associate Professor in the School of Geography, Geology and Environmental Science at the University of Auckland in New Zealand. He is a global warming skeptic, is listed as a contributor to the climate contrarian website ICECAP, and is listed as a Heartland Institute "global warming expert" and an advisor to the New Zealand Climate Science Coalition
Under de Freitas's editorship of Climate Research (journal), several poor quality contrarian papers were published, that he had shepherded through the peer review process; half the journal's editors ended up resigning in protest at the lax editorial policies that had permitted these papers to slip through and the publisher's unwillingness to enforce suitably stringent ones.  De Freitas doesn't accept that extreme weather events are linked to human induced climate change 
- "I do not dispute that the carbon dioxide rise in the atmosphere is largely from the use of fossil fuels"
- "It is unlikely that the man-made changes are drivers of significant climate variation"
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Heartland Institute/Global warming experts
- Climate Research (journal)
- New Zealand Climate Science Coalition
- Competitive Enterprise Institute
- International Climate Science Coalition
- Friends of Science
- Tim de Freitas
- DeSmog Blog profile http://www.desmogblog.com/chris-de-freitas
- Exxon Secrets Factsheet http://www.exxonsecrets.org/html/personfactsheet.php?id=1271
- University of Auckland Bio http://web.env.auckland.ac.nz/people_profiles/defreitas_c/
- Heartland Institute Biog http://heartland.org/chris-de-freitas
- John R. Mashey (2011-11-30). Skeptics Prefer Pal Review Over Peer Review: Chris de Freitas, Pat Michaels And Their Pals, 1997-2003. DeSmogBlog.
- Deep Climate (pseudonym) (2011-12-08). In the beginning: Friends of Science, Talisman Energy and the de Freitas brothers. Deep Climate. Retrieved on 2009-12-02.
- Chris Barton (2011-12-08). The climate dissenter holds his ground. NZ Herald. Retrieved on 2011-07-16. “(examines all sides)”
- Clare Goodess (2003-11). Stormy Times for Climate Research. SGR. Retrieved on 2009-12-26. “...Hans von Storch and I were also aware of three earlier Climate Research papers about which people had raised concerns over the review process. In all these cases, de Freitas had had editorial responsibility.”
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|