Jump to navigation Jump to search
Carl Gershman has been President of the National Endowment for Democracy (NED) since April 1984.
- In addition to presiding over the Endowment's grants program in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union and Latin America, he has overseen the creation of the quarterly Journal of Democracy, International Forum for Democratic Studies, and the Reagan-Fascell Democracy Fellows Program. He also took the lead in launching in New Delhi in 1999 the World Movement for Democracy, which is a global network of democracy practitioners and scholars. Mr. Gershman is currently encouraging other democracies to establish their own foundations devoted to the promotion of democratic institutions in the world.
Prior to assuming the position with the Endowment, Mr. Gershman was Senior Counselor to the United States Representative to the United Nations, in which capacity he served as the U.S. Representative to the U.N.'s Third Committee that deals with human rights issues, and also as Alternate Representative of the U.S. to the U.N. Security Council.
While at the U.S. Mission to the U.N., Mr. Gershman also served as lead consultant to the National Bipartisan Commission on Central America, and helped draft the final report.
Prior to his assignment at the United States Mission to the United Nations, Mr. Gershman was a Resident Scholar at Freedom House and Executive Director of Social Democrats, USA [...] Mr. Gershman is married to Laurie Pfeffer." 
- ADL - former researcher
- Advisory Committee on Democracy Promotion - Member
- Afghanistan-America Foundation - Former Member (Chairman's Advisory Board)
- Gozaar - Contributor
- IFES - Editorial Advisory Board, of "Democracy at Large"
- U.S. Committee for Human Rights in North Korea - Director
- Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation - National Advisory Council (2007)
- World Movement for Democracy - Steering Committee
- Founding member Human Freedom Advisory Council, George W. Bush Institute 
- Honorary Advisory Board, Washington Oxi Day Foundation 
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Carl Gershman, NED, accessed 6 October 2008.
- Kim Scipes, An Unholy Alliance: the AFL-CIO and the National Endowment for Democracy (NED) in Venezuela, Znet, 10 July 2005.
- Carl Gershman, Democracy and Anti-Semitism, ADL conference remarks, 16 December 2004. (Accessed: 29 February 2012)
- Human Freedom Advisory Council, George W. Bush Institute, accessed November 14, 2015.
- Oxi Day Foundation Board, organizational web page, accessed January 5, 2019.
- Accessed: 29 February 2012