CESC is an Indian power generation and distribution company which has major interests in coal-fired power stations.
Coal power stations
CESC currently owns and operates four coal-fired power stations generating 1225 MW of power. These are the:
- Budge Budge Generating Station (750 MW);
- Southern Generating Station (135 MW);
- Titagarh Generating Station (240 MW); and
- New Cossipore Generating Station (100 MW).
Proposed coal power stations
CESC also plans a massive expansion in coal-fired generation capacity. On its website the company describes its expansion plans as "rushing ahead to meet our bright future at the speed of light".
- Balagarh power station, West Bengal a proposed 1320 MW proposed to be commissioned by 2016; and
- Chandrapur CESC power station (Tadali), Maharashtra, a 600 MW plant proposed to be commissioned by 2013;
- Dhenkanal power station, Orissa a proposed 1000 MW proposed to be commissioned by 2015;
- Dumka power station (CESC), Jharkhand, a proposed 1200 MW plant in two 600 MW phases with the first phase to be commissioned by 2016;
- Haldia Energy power station in West Bengal a proposed 600 MW plant proposed to be commissioned by 2014, with a second phase of 1400 MW proposed;
- Pirpainti power station (CESC), Bihar, a proposed 2000 MW plant proposed to be commissioned by 2017.