Bokaro Steel City Thermal Power Station
The Bokaro Steel City Thermal Power Station is an existing 306-megawatt coal-fired power station in Jharkhand, India.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in the Bokaro district.
Bokaro Power Supply Company Ltd, which operates the Bokaro Steel City Thermal Power Station, is a joint venture company of Damodar Valley Corporation and Steel Authority of India SAIL, to operate and maintain the captive power and steam generation plant at SAIL's Bokaro Steel Plant.
On its website, on a page seemingly undated from approximately 2007, Bokaro Power Supply Company states that an additional 36 MW power generation unit was under construction and that an additional 500 megawatt in capacity was planned for "by 2008".
In 2013 the Bokaro Power Supply Company Limited (BPSCL), which supplies electricity to Bokaro Steel Plant (BSL), received an agreement from BSL management for construction of a new 500 MW power plant in the Bathua area of the district. BPSCL is a joint venture of Steel Authourity of India Limited (SAIL) and DVC.
In February 2014 it was reported that BPSCL had obtained all the necessary clearances, and the project was being expedited so that Bokaro Steel Limited can increase its production. The project has been opposed by local residents.
However, as of May 2018 there are no updates on the project, and plans appears to be shelved or abandoned.
Expansion Project Details
Sponsor: Bokaro Power Supply Company
Location: Bokaro district, Jharkhand
Coordinates: 23.68587458, 86.09294415 (exact)
Nameplate capacity: 500 MW
Source of financing:
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- Damodar Valley Corporation, "Generation Overview", Damodar Valley Corporation website, accessed February 2012.
- Bokaro Power Supply Company, "Growth Plans", Bokaro Power Supply Company website, accessed February 2012.
- "Bokaro Works (CPP) Coal Power Station India," Global Energy Observatory, accessed March 2012
- Damodar Valley Corporation, "Generation Projects", Damodar Valley Corporation website, archived webpage from December 2009.
- Divy Khare, "BPSCL gets Bokaro Steel nod for 500 MW plant," TNN, Jan 18, 2013.
- "Decks cleared for BPSCL plant," Times of India, Feb 10, 2014