Bokaro A Thermal Power Station
Bokaro A Thermal Power Station is a 500-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station located next to the 210 MW Bokaro B Thermal Power Station in Jharkhand, India.
The photo below shows the shuttered Units 1-4 of Bokaro A on the right, and the new Unit 5 with the blue roof. The 210 MW Bokaro B Thermal Power Station is located about two hundred meters to the northwest.
The new 500 MW unit was reported as delayed in March 2014.
Coal ash pond
The Bokaro Thermal plant releases fly ash and Gargail coal washery about 40.04 mt/day of fine metallurgical coal directly into a nearby river, which has been reported as having severe water quality issues. Some have estimated that 600 tons of coal particles and ash flow directly into the river on a daily basis.
Coal supply delayed
According to a September 2013 news report, the company had not yet entered into a fuel supply pact with Coal India.
Project details for Bokaro A expansion
Sponsor: Damodar Valley Corporation
Location: Bokaro district, Jharkhand
Coordinates: 23.7829444, 85.8833912(exact)
Nameplate capacity: 500 MW
Projected in service: 2016
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
MoEF permits: Environmental Clearance, (Nov 30, 2007)
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- B.T.P.S. A" (Bokaro Thermal), Wikimapia, accessed February 2014
- "Bokaro A Coal Power Station India (shutdown)," Global Energy Observatory, accessed March 2012
- Damodar Valley Corporation, "Growth Plans: 11th Plan Capacity Addition Programme", Damodar Valley Corporation website, accessed November 2011.
- "Bokaro B (DVC) Coal Power Station India," Global Energy Observatory, accessed Jan 2016
- "Proposal for deletion of Chandrapura TPS unit no. 2(130MW) and Bokaro TPS Unit#1&2(2x210MW) of Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) from National Grid," India CEA, Sep 4, 2017
- "BTPS ‘A’ GENERATING UNITS" Bokaro A, Damodar Valley Corporation website, accessed January 2012.
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, September 2012
- "DVC trims power target," The Telegraph, Mar 31, 2014
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, March 2016
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, November 2015
- S.K. Agarwal, Water Pollution, (APH Publishing, 2005), page 113.
- "Power plants like Lanco, DVC yet to sign FSA with Coal India," Economic Times, September 13, 2013