Bab-Habshan–Fujairah Oil Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor and the Center for Media and Democracy.|
Bab-Habshan–Fujairah Oil Pipeline is an oil pipeline in the United Arab Emirates.
The pipeline runs from Bab-Habshan oil & gas field, Emirate of Abu Dhabi, to Fujairah, Emirate of Fujairah, United Arab Emirates.
- Operator: International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC)
- Current capacity: 1,500,000 barrels per day
- Proposed capacity:
- Length: 360 kilometers
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 2012
The Abu Dhabi Crude Oil Pipeline, also known as the Habshan-Fujairah Oil Pipeline, is operated by the International Petroleum Investment Company, which is owned by the government of Abu Dhabi. The pipeline, which runs 380 kilometers in length, originates at Abu Dhabi's main field and ends at a crude reservoir in Fujairah, UAE. Currently, the oil pipeline carries 1.5 million barrels, over one-half of the U.A.E.’s daily crude oil exports to Fujairah’s onshore storage and offshore loading facilities. Over time, capacity is planned to be increased so that ADCOP will carry 1.8 million barrels, accounting for nearly three-quarters of the UAE’s daily crude exports.
The pipeline was designed by WorleyParsons and constructed by the China Petroleum Engineering and Construction Corporation, costing $4.2 billion dollars, over one billion dollars more than its original cost estimate of $3.3 billion. The pipeline allows for significant portions of oil in the country to bypass the Straight of Hormuz, where all of Abu Dhabi's oil exports used to been transported through.
Articles and resources
- Habshan–Fujairah Oil Pipeline, Wikipedia, accessed September 2017
- Abu Dhabi Crude Oil (Habshan-Fujairah) Pipeline Project, Hydrocarbons Technology, accessed October 2017
- Abu Dhabi Crude Oil Pipeline Project, Embassy of the United Arab Emirates, accessed October 2017
- Abu Dhabi Exports First Pipeline Oil Bypassing Hormuz Strait, Global Energy Profs, accessed October 2017
- April Yee, Oil pipeline bypassing Hormuz is completed, The National, November 25, 2010