BHP Mitsui Coal
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
graphic position=top | background=FFF | border=BA2725 | image=/images/a/aa/Coalswarm_badge.gif | width=216 | height=60 | title=Portal:Coal Issues | link=http://coalswarm.org |text=This article is part of the Coal Issues portal on SourceWatch, a project of Global Energy Monitor and the Center for Media and Democracy. See here for help on adding material to CoalSwarm.}}
BHP Mitsui Coal is a joint venture with BHP Billiton having an 80% interest and Mitsui the remaining 20% interest. The joint venture owns the South Walker Creek mine and the Poitrel mines though both are managed by BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance.
Both the mines are op-cut operations which BHP Billiton states in its 2009 annual report produce "a range of coking coal, pulverised coal injection (PCI) coal, and thermal coal products with medium to high phosphorus and ash properties." Coal from the mines is transported via Queensland Railways to the port of Hay Point near Mackay and exported either from the Hay Point Coal Terminal or the Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal.
In its 2009 annual report, BHP Billiton reported that "Leases have expiry dates between 2010 and 2020, and are renewable for such further periods as the Queensland Government allows. BHP Mitsui Coal Pty Limited holds additional undeveloped leases in the Bowen Basin."
Articles and Resources
- BHP Billiton, 2009 BHP Billiton Annual Report, BHP Billiton, September 2009, pages 45.