Ashwin Desai, "the holder of a Masters degree from Rhodes University and a doctorate from Michigan State University, is currently affiliated to the Centre for Civil Society at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, and lectures part time in Journalism at the Durban Institute of Technology and The Workers College. Dr Desai is an unusually prolific and wide ranging writer whose work has been published in academic and popular books and periodicals around the world." 
- 1996. Arise ye Coolies: Apartheid and the Indian 1960-1995.
- 1999. South Africa Still Revolting.
- 2000. The Poors of Chatsworth.
- 2002. We are the Poors: Community Struggles in Post-Apartheid South Africa.
- 2002. Blacks in Whites: A Century of Cricket Struggles in KwaZulu-Natal. (co-authored with Vishnu Padayachee, Krish Reddy & Goolam Vahed)