Archie Norman was appointed Chairman of M&S "in September 2017. Archie has a breadth of retail experience with an extensive track record in business change and value creation. He was instrumental in transforming a number of major British businesses including Kingfisher, Asda and Energis. He has also served as Chairman of ITV, Hobbycraft and Lazard UK. He was the first and only FTSE 100 Chairman to be elected a Member of Parliament, where he served for eight years.
"His current external roles include: Adviser to the Board of Wesfarmers Limited, Director of Target Pty Limited, Deputy Chairman of Coles Limited. In 2016 he was appointed by the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy as its Lead Non-Executive Director."
- Adviser to Wesfarmers Limited (2009)
- Deputy Chairman of Coles Group (2007)
- Chairman, HSS Hire Services Group (2007)
- Founder, Aurigo Management Partners LLP (2006)
- Senior Adviser to Lazard (2003)
- Trustee, Cystic Fibrosis Trust (2009)
- Governor, National Institute of Economic and Social Research (1997)
- Chairman, Energis (2002-2005)
- Member of Parliament (1997-2005), Chief Executive and Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party (1998-1999); Shadow Minister for Europe (1999-2000); Shadow Secretary of State for Department of Environment, Transport and the Regions (2000-2001); Founder, Policy Exchange (2001)
- Chief Executive (1991-1996) and Chairman (1996-1999), ASDA Group plc
- Finance Director, Kingfisher plc (1986-1991)
- Chairman, Chartwell Land plc (1987-1991)
- Non-executive director of British Rail (1992-1994), Railtrack plc (1994-2000), and Geest plc (1988-1991)
- Partner, McKinsey and Co (1979-1986)