Americans United for Separation of Church and State
The Americans United for the Separation of Church and State (AU), according to its website,
- "speaks out through the media, public forums, debates, lectures, and other avenues in defense of religious diversity and church-state separation. Americans United staffers are not afraid to debate top Religious Right leaders in any public forum - though they are sometimes afraid to debate us!".
- Mobilizes Americans at the grassroots and through state and regional Americans United chapters to monitor church-state relations in their own communities and respond effectively to local Religious Right activity.
- Advocates for separation of church and state in the U.S. Congress and state legislatures working with lawmakers at all levels to help them understand the importance of respecting the separation of church and state.
Defends separation of church and state in the federal and state courts, filing lawsuits and legal briefs in key cases. AU works to defuse church-state problems through dialogue before cases go to court.
- Works With the Media, national and local, to help reporters understand church-state issues. Our representatives frequently appear on television broadcasts, on talk radio, and in the pages of newspapers like USA Today, The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, and The LA Times.
- Publishes Church & State, an award-winning monthly journal of news and analysis of religious liberty issues. Church & State regularly contains exposés of the Christian Coalition and other Religious Right groups that are not carried by the general media. It's the important news you can't get any place else.
518 C Street NE
Washington, DC 20002
Phone: (202) 466-3234
Fax: (202) 466-2587
Email: americansunited AT au.org