American Advertising Federation
The American Advertising Federation (AAF) acts as a "Unifying Voice for Advertising." It describes itself as "the oldest national advertising trade association, representing 40,000 professionals in the advertising industry. The AAF has a national network of 200 ad clubs located in ad communities across the country. Through its 226 college chapters, the AAF provides 8,000 advertising students with real-world case studies and recruitment connections to corporate America. The AAF also has nearly 100 blue-chip corporate members that are advertisers, agencies and media companies, comprising the nation's leading brands and corporations."
Code of Ethics
In March 1984 the AAF adopted a brief statement of "Advertising Ethics and Principles". Extracts are:
- Truth - Advertising shall tell the truth, and shall reveal significant facts, the omission of which would mislead the public.
- Price Claims - Advertising shall avoid price claims which are false or misleading, or saving claims which do not offer provable savings.
- Testimonials - Advertising containing testimonials shall be limited to those of competent witnesses who are reflecting a real and honest opinion or experience.
The AAF website states that it "protects and promotes advertising at all levels of government through grassroots activities. Our nationwide network monitors advertising-related legislation on local, state and federal levels. We put our members face to face with influential lawmakers. We also encourage industry self-regulation as a preemptor to government intervention, when appropriate."
- Chairman Frank Cooper, SVP, Chief Consumer Engagement Officer, PepsiCo Americas Beverages
- Vice Chair Steve Pacheco, Managing Director, Advertising & Marketing, FedEx
Board of Directors – corporate:
- Allison Arden, Vice President/Publisher of Advertising Age
- Tim Armstrong, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, AOL
- Chris Collins, VP, Multimedia Sales, The Wall Street Journal
Board of Directors – additional members:
- Academic Committee Vice Chair: Jan Slater, Head of Advertising, University of Illinois
- Peggy Conlon, President & CEO, Ad Council
The American Advertising Federation
1101 Vermont Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20005-6306
E-mail: aaf AT aaf.org
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- Advertising industry
- Advertising Industry Codes of Conduct
- Australian Association of National Advertisers
- Coalition for Healthcare Communication
- Arthur Liebler - former national chairman
- Laurence Boschetto
- About, American Advertising Federation, accessed October 2010.
- Advertising Ethics and Principles, American Advertising Federation, accessed October 2010.
- American Advertising Federation lobbying expenses, Open Secrets, accessed October 2010.
- Government affairs, American Advertising Federation, accessed October 2010.
- Staff, American Advertising Federation, accessed October 2010.
- Officers and Board of Directors, American Advertising Federation, accessed October 2010.