Çayırhan power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
Çayırhan power station is a 620-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Ankara province, Turkey.
An additional 800 MW coal plant, known as Çayırhan-B, is proposed.
The undated satellite photo below shows the existing Çayırhan plant, in Çayırhan, Nallıhan.
Background on Plant
Çayırhan power station is a four-unit subcritical coal-fired power station totaling 620 MW. It was commissioned from 1987 to 2000. In April 2001, the plant was transferred from Euas to Park Termik, an affiliate of the Ciner Group, under a Transfer of Operating Rights (TOR) agreement.
In 2016 a 700 MW to 800 MW expansion known as Çayırhan-B was proposed. It would also be fueled by domestic lignite, the Çayırhan 2 mine. In 2017 the plant and mine were put up for bidding by Elektrik Üretim A.Ş. (EÜAŞ) and the Kolin-Kalyon Energy and Celikler Partnership won the tender. The government has guaranteed an electricity price 60% over the 2016 wholesale price for 15 years, more than 6 US cent per kWhr which opponents claim is a bad deal for the country compared to the price of solar electricity. Tourism to a local bird reserve might be affected. In April 2019 a presidential decree was issued to expedite the extraction of coal from the Çayırhan II Lignite field for use in the project.
Consideration of the Çayırhan B EIA commenced in February 2018 (previous 2016 EIA). Environmentalists note that coal ash from the plant will travel at least 7.5 km from the plant and endanger the Nallıhan Bird Sanctuary, which is 5.9 km away.
Project Details of expansion
- Sponsor: Kolin-Kalyon-Celikler Consortium
- Parent company: Kolin Group, Kalyon Group, Celikler Partnership
- Location: Çayırhan, Nallıhan, Ankara province, Turkey
- Coordinates: 40.097, 31.695 (exact)
- Status: Permitted
- Detailed status: prelicensed
- Gross capacity: 800 MW 
- Projected in service:
- Coal type: Lignite
- Coal source: Çayırhan 2 mine, Turkey
- CO2 Emissions per year: 4 million tons
- Source of financing:
- WRI ID: WRI1018710
- EBC ID: TR-14
Articles and resources
- "Coal-Fired Power Plants in Turkey," Industcards, accessed Dec 2016
- "Kolin-Kalyon-Celikler win Cayirhan privatization tender," Anadolu Agency, Feb 6, 2017
- "ANKARA'NIN KUŞ CENNETİNE TERMİK SANTRAL," Turizm Haber, May 27, 2017
- Komünist Başkan Fatih Mehmet Maçoğlu makam aracını gelin arabası yaptı, t24.com, Apr. 16, 2019
- "Çayırhan B Termik Santrali için ÇED süreci başlatıldı," Yatırımlar Dergisi, 9 Feb 2018
- Çevrecilerin karşı çıktığı proje için 'acele kamulaştırma' kararı, Gazete DuvaR, Apr. 16, 2019
- "Elektrik Piyasası Önlisansları,prelicence ÖN/7168/03697 expires July 2020" EMRA, accessed April 2018
- Çayırhan B’nin gücü ve bacası yükseltiliyor,Enerji Günlüğü, Feb 11 2018
- 350 Ankara: Yeni termik santral yılda 4 milyon ton karbondioksit yayacak,Hürriyet, Feb 2 2017