Winston & Strawn
Winston & Strawn (Tobacco law firm) is an international law firm and lobbying firm based in Chicago, Illinois, USA. It has 900 lawyers in cities such as Chicago, Geneva, London, Los Angeles, Moscow, New York, Paris, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C.  
James R. Thompson was the chairman of Winston & Strawn for 13 years until he stepped down on August 23, 2006. Previously he was the Republican governor of Illinois from 1977 to 1991. The law firm spent millions of dollars of time, but free of charge, defending another former Republican governor of Illinois, George Ryan, of corruption charges.   
Winston & Strawn gave $164,829 to federal candidates in the 2006 election through its political action committee - 50% to Democrats, 49% to Republicans, and 1% ($1,800) to independent Joseph Lieberman (I-CT). 
35 W. Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60601
Phone: (312) 558-5600
Fax: (312) 558-5700
- ↑ Offices, Winston & Strawn, accessed October 2007.
- ↑ Profile: Winston & Strawn, Open Secrets, accessed October 2007.
- ↑ "Thompson Steps Down As Winston & Strawn Chairman", CBS2Chicago, August 23, 2006.
- ↑ "Ex-Illinois governor Ryan indicted", CNN, December 17, 2003.
- ↑ Susan Chandler, "Is Ryan's free legal defense taxable?", Chicago Tribune, April 26, 2006.
- ↑ 2006 PAC Summary Data, Open Secrets, accessed October 2007.
This article may include information from Tobacco Documents Online.
|Search the Documents Archives of the Tobacco Industry|
|Legacy Tobacco Documents Library:|