Project Woodpecker pertains to the Electron Cyclotron Resonance Heating Method which is designed to "alter the earth's magnetic field ...in order to modify weather, create or trigger earthquakes and volcanoes, spread viruses, create the phenomenom known as electromagnetic pulse (EMP), and, to modify behavior control among the populous."
The HAARP (High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program) transmitter site located in Alaska, northeast of the town of Gakona, is believed to be "large enough to cover most of the Northern Hemisphere." Operated by the Department of the Navy, Department of the Air Force and the University of Alaska, it is also believed to be only one of a number of such sites--known as Ionospheric Research Instruments that are "scattered around the world, ... many of them here in the U.S.", which are capable of connecting with a much smaller GWEN (Ground Wave Emergency Network), which comprises "remotely controlled transmitter sites that have been built all over the U.S. in a grid pattern, with their antennas spaced about every 200 miles or so."
See The HAARP Cam photos of "the high frequency antenna array at the HAARP Ionospheric Research Observatory in Gakona, Alaska," which are "taken at periodic intervals throughout the Alaskan daylight hours."
Nikola Tesla conducted the original research on the Electron Cyclotron Resonance Heating Method. It is asserted that Tesla's work was "later expanded upon by not only Soviet scientists, but also by U.S. scientists, such as Bernard J. Eastlund  (scientist associated with the Atlantic Richfield Oil Company (ARCO). ARCO, according to tradition, was controlled by members of the Council on Foreign Relations, with Eastlund as the "front man," with a subsequent series of transferrals of the patent rights.
"The U.S. and the Soviet Union first began secret cooperation on world weather engineering in about 1971. On July 4, 1976, the Soviets began generating powerful electromagnetic transmissions, that were dubbed 'The Russian Woodpecker' by western ham radio operators. On June 18, 1977, the US government OFFICIALLY became covert partners with the Soviets in these operations by sending them sophisticated scientific material and equipment for further research and development. The secret code name given US operations was Project Woodpecker. The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory located at Livermore, CA, was and is the main research center for US development of the Project. Covert funding for the Project was funneled through the CIA and the National Security Agency. The Department of Defense and NASA have, of course, been cooperating in the Project from the beginning stages.
"On Jan. 10, 1985 there was officially filed of record a Patent No. 4,686,605 entitled: a 'Method and Apparatus for Altering a Region in the Earth's Atmosphere, Ionosphere, and/or Magnetosphere'. The Patent was approved on Aug. 11, 1987. This Patent explains and describes the Electron Cyclotron Resonance Heating method that is presently being covertly and cooperatively used by the two super powers to help bring about their coveted New World Order, which is a 'One World Government'."
Once a unique resonant frequency is identfied in the Earth's mantle, in a particular spot, ELF radio waves can be used to artificially trigger earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and to create "high and low pressure weather cells" that disrupt and/or steer the Jet Streams. They are capable of creating "a phenomenon known as an earth damaging 'electromagnetic pulse' (EMP)."
Adapted from "Project Woodpecker", January 9, 2005.
A New York Times article, September 22, 1940, stated:
- "Nikola Tesla, one of the truly great inventors, who celebrated his 84th birthday on July 10, tells the writer that he stands ready to divulge to the US Government the secret of his 'tele-force' with which, he said, airplane motors would be melted at a distance of 250 miles, so that an invisible Chinese Wall of defense would be built around the country.
- "This 'teleforce', he said, is based on an entirely new principle of physics that 'no one has ever dreamed about', different from the principle in his inventions relating to the transmission of electrical power from a distance, for which he has received a number of basic patents. This new type of force, Mr. Tesla said, would operate through a beam one hundred- millionth of a square centimeter, and could be generated from a special plant that would cost no more than $2,000,000 and would take only about three months to construct."
- BOB EDWARDS, Host: Good morning, I'm Bob Edwards. The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory [sp] is very proud of Project Woodpecker. Because of Project Woodpecker, the lab, which designs nuclear weapons, won the intelligence community's Seal Medallion last year from the CIA and the National Security Agency. So, this Project Woodpecker must really be something. And just what is Project Woodpecker? Well, the lab can't say because it's a secret. You're listening to NPR's Morning Edition.
"Others [terrorists] are engaging even in an eco-type of terrorism whereby they can alter the climate, set off earthquakes, volcanoes remotely through the use of electromagnetic waves. So there are plenty of ingenious minds out there that are at work finding ways in which they can wreak terror upon other nations?It's real, and that's the reason why we have to intensify our counterterrorism efforts." -- Secretary of Defense William Sebastian Cohen at an April 1997 counterterrorism conference sponsored by former Senator Sam Nunn. Quoted from DoD News Briefing, Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen, at the Conference on Terrorism, Weapons of Mass Destruction, and U.S. Strategy, University of Georgia, Athens, Apr. 28, 1997.
- K. Sao, Ionospheric Reflection Coefficient of the ELF Radio Waves, January 1, 1967; published in Japanese; no full English translation available.
- Case No. VFA-0043, 25 DOE ¶ 80,118, June 22, 1995; Appeal filed May 24, 1995, to U.S. Department of Energy by Petitioner A. Victorian.
- "In FOIA request dated April 9, 1994, Victorian sought documents containing the following information concerning Project Woodpecker at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL):
- (1) the nature of the project;
- (2) the starting date;
- (3) the goals and functions; and
- (4) the "OPR".
- "In its May 5, 1995 determination, Oakland stated that a search had been conducted for documents responsive to Victorian's request, but that no records were found as a result of the search. Oakland specifically stated that information relating to Project Woodpecker had been destroyed."
- Bernard J. Eastlund's Patents 1975-1997; Abstract: Method and Apparatus For Altering a Region in the Earth's Atmosphere, Ionosphere, and/or Magnetosphere (8/11/87); Patent Number: 4,686,605.
- New Weather Modification Research Papers by Dr. Bernard J. Eastlund.
- Space Based Weather Control: The 'Thunder Storm Solar Power Satellite', Correspondence with Dr. Bernard J. Eastlund, January 1999.
- Eastlund Scientific Enterprises Corporation web site; includes links to Dr. Bernard J. Eastlund's scientific research and activities.
- Ross N. Hoffman, "Chaos and Weather Control", NIAC, Atmospheric & Environmental Control, Atlanta, November 5, 2003. Example: "Space solar power (SSP): microwave downlink could provide a tunable atmospheric heat source," (page 15).
- Philip L. Hoag. Weather Modification. Copyright © 1996, 1998. All rights Reserved. Yellowstone River Publishing.
- HAARP Digisonde, Gakona, Alaska, DPS-4 System #039 (Digisonde Portable Sounder), U.S. Department of the Air Force and Center for Atmospheric Research, University of Massachusetts Lowell.
- HAARP Project, Stanford University.
- HAARP.net, Unofficial website.
- Dr. Sheldon Meth, "High Frequency Active Auroral Research Project (HAARP)," DARPA. Last Updated March 9, 2007.
- Dan Eden, "Introduction to H.A.A.R.P.," Viewzone.com.
- H.A.A.R.P., Cyberspaceorbit.com.
- Katrina Ongoing Investigation (2005-2006), Cyberspaceorbit.com.
- Electromagnetic Weather Altering.
- Nick Begich and Jeane Manning, "Vandalism in the Sky," Earth Pulse Press.
- High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program in the Wikipedia.
Articles & Commentary
- Jonathan Vankin and John Whalen, "Baked Alaska. Project HAARP: The Pentagon's provocative plan to superheat the earth's ionosphere," 60 Greatest Conspiracies, 1996.
- Dr. Arnold Barnes, "Weather Modification", presented at the Test Technology Symposium '97, "The Army After Next, How Will We Test?," U.S. Army Developmental Test Command, Phillips Lab/GPO, Hanscom Air Force Base, MA; Col. Tamzy J. House, et al., "Weather as a Force Multiplier: Owning the Weather in 2025" research paper presented to Air Force 2025, August 1996; and the Air Force 2025 Final Report.
- H.L. Rowland, "Simulations of ELF radiation generated by heating the high-latitude D- region," Beam Physics Branch, Plasma Physics Division, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, D.C., April 28, 1999.
- Michael Chossudovsky, "Washington's New World Order Weapons Have the Ability to Trigger Climate Change," emperorsclothes.com, November 26, 2000.
- "What is HAARP? How it looks and sounds!" Brother Jonathan, December 15, 2000.
- "HAARP: The Mysterious 3.39 MHz Signal," Brother Jonathan, February 21, 2001.
- Bob Fitrakis, "When the Army Owns the Weather," AlterNet, February 5, 2002.
- "Strategic Plan for the U.S. Climate Change Science Program" (CCSP). A Report by the Climate Change Science Program and the Subcommittee on Global Change Research, July 2003.
- Lorie Kramer, "Patently Obvious: A Partial History of Aerosol and Weather Related Technologies," July 30, 2003.
- Joe Vialls, "Did New York Orchestrate The Asian Tsunami? With Afghanistan and Iraq already lost, the Wall Street bankers were all desperately looking for other ways to control our world, when suddenly and very conveniently, the Sumatran Trench exploded. Trick or Treat?", January 5, 2005; updated January 6, 2005.
- Nick Begich and Jeane Manning, "HAARP: The Military's Pandora's Box: Electromagnetic Manipulation of the Earth's Climate", Global Research, March 3, 2010.