Madison Gas & Electric
Madison Gas & Electric (MGE) generates and distributes electricity to customers in Dane County, Wisconsin and also retails gas to customers in seven south-central and western Wisconsin counties.
Existing Coal Plants
|Columbia Energy Center||WI||1975, 1978||1,023 MW|
|Oak Creek Power Plant||WI||2009, 2010||1,230 MW|
MGE's percentage of ownership in the plants:
- Columbia Energy Center: MGE is part owner, along with Wisconsin Public Service and Alliant Energy, of this coal-fired power station which has two 500 megawatt units;
- Oak Creek Power Plant: MGE is a part owner of the Oak Creek Power Plant 1,230 MW expansion and will "receive a total of 100 MW from the plant—50 MW from each unit." The first unit is scheduled for completion in 2009, the second in 2010.
Blount conversion to gas
MGE plans to transition its Blount plant to natural gas generation by the end of 2011. In March, 2011, Blount Street Station stopped burning coal and converted to natural gas as its primary fuel.
Settling Permit case and funding a climate change group
In July 2009 Governor Jim Doyle announced the formation of the Wisconsin Climate Change Action Initiative with an initial $5 million contribution from We Energies, Madison Gas & Electric and WPPI Energy. Doyle stated that the group would work "to increase voluntary conservation practices that will save money and have positive environmental impacts" and "will focus on providing education, practical advice and expertise to residents, communities and businesses." Doyle stated that initial funding would be "provided through a $5 million contribution from We Energies, Madison Gas & Electric and WPPI Energy under an agreement with Clean Wisconsin and Sierra Club to resolve outstanding permit issues" related to the Oak Creek Units 1 & 2.
Madison Gas & Electric
133 S. Blair St.
Madison, WI 53703
Phone: (608) 252-7000
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- ↑ Madison Gas & Electric, "Who We Are", Madison Gas & Electric website, accessed July 2009.
- ↑ Madison Gas & Electric, "Power Plants", Madison Gas & Electric website, accessed July 2009.
- ↑ Madison Gas & Electric, "About MGE: Energy 2015", Madison Gas & Electric website, October 2009.
- ↑ "In March, Blount Street plant to make gas its primary fuel" Judy Newman, January 18, 2010.
- ↑ Governor Jim Doyle, "Governor Doyle Announces Nonprofit Organization to Promote Greenhouse Gas Reduction Efforts", Media Release, July 17, 2009.
- Governor Jim Doyle, "Governor Doyle Announces Nonprofit Organization to Promote Greenhouse Gas Reduction Efforts", Media Release, July 17, 2009.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|