GMOs in Kenya
GMOs in Kenya describes market for Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) in Kenya, including policies that allow or ban them.
Importation of GMOs for Consumption
In 2010, the Kenyan government approved a law allowing the importation of genetically modified products for consumption, pending the approval of the state-run National Biosafety Authority. The NBA gave the green light in 2011.
First Importation of GE Corn
In 2011, Kenya (along with other nearby African nations) experienced a major drought, resulting in a shortage of corn (maize). At that time, the government dropped tariffs on imported corn to prevent an increase in prices and arranged for a shipment of GE corn from South Africa. GE corn was 30% cheaper than non-GE corn, and Kenya's Cereal Millers Association lobbied hard for the importation of GE corn. The shipment was met with protests organized by the African Biodiversity Network and the Unga Revolution.
Sale of GMOs for Planting
According to Kenyan newspapers, Kenya will have GE maize seeds sold in shops in 2014. The maize is from Water Efficient Maize for Africa. 2014 is also the year Kenyan farmers are expected to gain access to GE Cotton.
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- GMO Policies by Country
- GE Corn
- Bt Cotton
- Using Hunger to Promote Genetic Engineering
- U.S. State Department Promotion of Agricultural Biotechnology
- USAID Promotion of Agricultural Biotechnology
- Monsanto's Use of Humanitarian Projects to Open Global Markets to GMOs
- ↑ "Kenyans protest over GM maize imports ," BBC News, July 1, 2011, Accessed July 1, 2011.
- ↑ Jacob Ng'etich, "Genetic maize seeds set for Kenyan market," Daily Nation, February 23, 2012.
- ↑ Dennis Odunga, "GM cotton to be in farms by 2014: Kari," Daily Nation, February 27, 2012, Accessed March 27, 2012.
- Dennis Odunga, "Teach About GMO in Schools, Say Educators," AllAfrica.com, February 4, 2012.
- Emman Omari and Lucas Barasa, "Kenya: The Frankenstein Foods Debate That Refuses to Go Away," AllAfrica.com, November 3, 2011.
- David Derbyshire, "Europe's opposition to GM crops is arrogant hypocrisy, Kenyan scientist warns," Guardian, October 22, 2011.
- Ken Opala and Tom Mosoba, "Kenya’s decision to import GMOs sends region into panic ," The East African, October 16, 2011.
- "Farmers in Developing World Need to Use Technology," Truth About Trade and Technology, October 13, 2011.
- Rosie Spinks, "Does Kenya need GM crops as it battles famine in the Horn of Africa?," The Ecologist, September 8, 2011.
- Fredrick Nzwili "Bishops in Kenya take new stance on genetically modified foods," The Christian Century, August 1, 2011.
- Gavin du Venage, "Africa modifies its stance on GM crops," The National, July 29, 2011.
- "Ways sought to educate farmers on GM benefits," The Citizen, July 27, 2011.
- "Kenya on the path to introduce GM cotton," Fibre2Fashion.com, July 27, 2011.
- Steve Mbogo, "Kenya pushes ahead with GM cotton plans," BusinessDailyAfrica.com, July 25, 2011.
- Angeyo H. Kalambuka, "The Cabinet may have genetically engineered an agricultural dilemma," Daily Nation, July 24, 2011.
- "I have eaten GM food, says minister," Daily Nation, July 22, 2011.
- Roseleen Nzioka, "Don't use starving Kenyans to legalise GMOs!," The Standard, July 21, 2011.
- Natasha Gilbert, "Kenya Set to Green-Light Genetically Modified Crops: Bt cotton first in line for open release.," Scientific American, July 11, 2011.
- Joe DeCapua, "Kenya Now Able to Produce, Import GM Foods," Voice of America, July 4, 2011.
- Dennis Odunga, "Hunger crisis rekindles debate over GM maize," Daily Nation, July 2, 2011.
- "Mutant Maize Sparks Kenyan Mutiny," International Business Times, July 1, 2011.
- "Kenyans protest over GM maize imports ," BBC News, July 1, 2011.
- Beatrice Gachenge, "Kenya to allow GM maize to alleviate shortage," Reuters, June 29, 2011.
- George Omondi, "Maize shortage plays into hands of genetically modified food advocates," Business Daily, June 27, 2011.
- Allan Odhiambo, "Kenya in spotlight as more nations turn to GM foods," Business Daily, March 7, 2011.
- "Kenya protests block GM maize shipment in Mombasa," BBC News, April 8, 2010.