Therma Visayas Energy Project
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of the The Philippines and coal|
Therma Visayas Energy Project is a 170-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Cebu Province, Philippines. A further 170 MW is under development.
The undated satellite below shows the location where the plant is being built, in Bato Barangay, Toledo City District. Satellite imagery from Planet shows construction progress from January 2016 to March 2018.
Background on Plant
The 340-MW two-unit coal-fired Therma Visayas Energy Project project is a joint venture between Aboitiz Power and Vivant Corp. Total project costs are P41 billion, or $925 million. The project is expected to be completed in Q3 2017.
In June 2014, Aboitiz signed engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) contracts with Hyundai Engineering & Construction, as well as with local company Galing Power Energy. Site development work was scheduled to begin in November 2014. Vivant Integrated Generation Corporation, a subsidiary of the Vivant Corporation, bought a 20% stake in the plant in August 2014.
As of September 2014, Aboitiz was still working on acquiring 2% of the land for the project site.
In April 2015, Aboitiz announced that it has started construction of the project, with completion scheduled for early 2018.
As of January 2017, construction was on track, with commercial operations expected in early 2018. In January 2018 Aboitiz announced that construction was 90% complete and that the plant would be commissioned in the first half of 2018.
Unit 1 was commissioned in April 2019, and Aboitiz expects Unit 2 to be commissioned in May 2019.
- Sponsor: Therma Visayas Inc. (80%) and Vivant Corp. (20%)
- Parent company: Aboitiz Power
- Location: Bato Barangay, Toledo City District, Cebu Province, Philippines
- Coordinates: 10.35, 123.6 (exact)
- Status: Unit 1: Operating; Unit 2: Construction
- Gross Capacity: 340 MW (Units 1 & 2: 170 MW)
- Type: Circulating fluidized bed
- Projected in service: Unit 1: 2019; Unit 2: 2019
- Coal Type: Subbituminous
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Iris C. Gonzales, "Aboitiz lays groundwork for 300-MW Toledo plant," The Philippine Star, August 20, 2013.
- Iris C. Gonzales, "Therma Visayas borrows P31.9B for 300-MW Toledo power plant," Philippine Star, June 20, 2015
- Miraflor, Madelaine. Aboitiz Power sets P10-B bond sale for Q3. Manila Times, 18 June 2014.
- TVI inks P41-B deal with Hyundai, Galing for 300MW plant in Toledo, GMA News, 2 June 2014.
- Private Sector Initiated Power Projects (Visayas), Philippines Department of Energy, 30 Sept. 2014.
- Miraflor, Madelaine. Vivant gets stake in Aboitiz Power unit. Manila Bulletin, 28 Aug. 2014.
- Katlene O. Cacho, "Therma Visayas begins work on 340 MW thermal plant," Sun Star Cebu, 9 April 2015
- Aboitiz: 340-MW Toledo plant ready by early 2018, Philippine Daily Inquirer, 23 Jan. 2017.
- 340MW more for Visayas grid in ’18, Cebu Daily News, Jan. 14, 2018
- Therma Visayas coal plant in Toledo begins commercial operations, Sun Star, Apr. 16, 2019
- "Approved Coal Plants in the last two years," Greenpeace, accessed December 2013