Fisk was denied entry into the US because he didnt have a biometric passport -- he doesnt want to make a great deal out of it... you can confirm this info with Jeff Blankfort who contacted him directly (email@example.com)
This whole story has gone a bit over the top...
In view of the above have relocated this section from article page to talk page. Apart from which it doesn't really add much to the profile. --Bob Burton 18:34, 10 Jan 2006 (EST)
Fisk Denied Entry Into The USA from Canada
- Lannan speaker delayed in Canada
- U.S. immigration officials refused Tuesday to allow Robert Fisk, longtime Middle East correspondent for the London newspaper, The Independent, to board a plane from Toronto to Denver. Fisk was on his way to Santa Fe for a sold-out appearance in the Lannan Foundation’s readings-and-conversations series Wednesday night.
- According to Christie Mazuera Davis, a Lannan program officer, Fisk was told that his papers were not in order.
- Davis made last-minute arrangements Wednesday for Amy Goodman, host of Pacifica Radio’s daily news show, Democracy Now!, to interview Fisk via satellite from a television station in Toronto. He appeared on a large screen onstage at the Lensic Performing Arts Center.
- The controversial British journalist, who is based in Beirut, filed many eyewitness reports on the U.S. invasion of Iraq and criticized Western reporters for “hotel journalism ,” a phrase he coined to describe correspondents who covered the war from heavily fortified hotel suites and offices.