Talk:Central Intelligence Agency
Deleted list of pruported 'media assets' -- I'll work though the citation but on checking a couple of the names the claim is unstantiated. --Bob Burton 06:05, 10 Sep 2004 (EDT)
relocating text inapp posted to article page
What is the CIA doing to monitor the new medical problems in China and their potential military uses as biological weapons of Mass Destruction? Avian Flu, Pig Ensepilitus, SAR's: All have one common charistic, they transfer to humans from animals. The potential of these diseases are potentially castrophic and every effort to creat a antidote to these is essential. 184.108.40.206
Once more I have removed the Mockingbird claims -- as noted previously and on other pages there is a kernel of truth in the CIA/journalism links that have been widely built on and inflated in varies conspiracist sites. I have never been able to find a credible primary source citation that even pinpoints the name Operation Mockingbird. --Bob Burton 22:03, 15 Sep 2005 (EDT)
Response: Check Wanttoknow.info research team for Project Mockingbird and CIA
- I'm still unpersuaded. All it has to say is "Graham has been identified by some investigators as the main contact in Project Mockingbird, the CIA program to infiltrate domestic American media." Who the "investigators" are and the basis for the claim are not detailed so as far as I'm concerned it can't be taken seriously. --Bob Burton 03:54, 5 November 2006 (EST)
Parking the list of incomplete refs here while expanding, resorting, removing dead links and restructuring --Bob Burton 03:03, 17 Oct 2005 (EDT)
- Articles About the CIA.
- History of the CIA.
- Research Documents on CIA
- CIA Admits Nazi Connection
- Mafia, CIA and Vatican Intelligence Apparatus
- CIA Mind Control Experiments MKULTRA and Declassified Documents
- CIA, Ford Foundation and World Social Forum in India
- Neoconservatism: A CIA Front?
- CIA "Fronts" at www.FAS.org
- A Short History of Reported CIA Fronts By Sherman H. Skolnick
- CIA's UFO history
- CIA UFO Documents obtained through Freedom of Information Act
- Dalai Lama and the CIA and CIA's Aid To Tibetan Exiles
- Whitewater, CIA and Federal Reserve
- Mafia, CIA and Vatican's Intelligence Opus Dei
- MI and CIA ordered Abu Gharib Torture
- CIA and Drug Trade Articles
- CIA involvement in campuses
- America's Third World War and CIA
- CIA Accused of Iraq Central Bank Heist
- Crimes of Citibank - CIA connection by Michael C. Ruppert
- Covert Activities of CIA, FBI, NSA and NED (National Endowment for Democracy)
Deleted the ISRIA external link from CIA article as it did not relate to the CIA and appears to be an effort on the part of someone to promote ISRIA, which is a commercial venture. Artificial Intelligence 12:13, 29 Jan 2006 (EST)
A reader queried whether the director who preceded Porter Goss was a "Mitchel H. Hanson" as stated on the article page. I did a quick search and couldn't find a reference - checked CIA site, Google etc. So pending verification have removed this from the article page. --Bob Burton 22:40, 10 May 2006 (EDT)
- The "Hanson" entry was made: 23:40, 22 Jan 2006 220.127.116.11 (→List of CIA Directors) .... Artificial Intelligence 04:24, 11 May 2006 (EDT)
Relocate ICR claim
I'm not persuaded this is a credible source.--Bob Burton 22:54, 25 Jul 2006 (EDT)
- The CIA and the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) are accused by International Currency Review, the London-based journal, of mounting a joint ultra-secret operation to electronically remove an estimated $10 billion out of the Iraqi Central Bank hours before the start of Persian Gulf War II. The whereabouts of the money is not known., 
Relocating SOA material here - The page http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=School_of_the_Americas seems a better place. As I understanbd it, the SAO are US Army not a CIA project. While they icnlude some CIA material in the training manuals it seems more appropriate to have it under the more direct sponsor. Also it does really fit under the CIA/Nazis subhead. --Bob Burton 08:04, 26 Jul 2006 (EDT)
- Over its 59 years, the SOA (School of America) has trained over 60,000 Latin American soldiers in counterinsurgency techniques, sniper training, commando and psychological warfare, military intelligence and interrogation tactics. These graduates have consistently used their skills to wage a war against their own people. Among those targeted by SOA graduates are educators, union organizers, religious workers, student leaders, and others who work for the rights of the poor. Hundreds of thousands of Latin Americans have been tortured, raped, assassinated, “disappeared,” massacred, and forced into refugee by those trained at the School of Assassins.
I'm relocating this once more a) I'm still not persudade ICR is all that credible b) citing Freepers doesn't help and c) the NYT link doesnlt seem to support this specific claim. I'm open to being persuaded but ICR strikes me as a bit off-beam. --Bob Burton 08:32, 26 Jul 2006 (EDT)
- The CIA and the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) are accused by International Currency Review, the London-based journal, of mounting a joint ultra-secret operation to electronically remove an estimated $10 billion out of the Iraqi Central Bank hours before the start of Persian Gulf War II. The whereabouts of the money is not known., ,
At the moment these snippets look useful but need expanding before including them into the article page. --Bob Burton 00:51, 6 November 2006 (EST) CNN reports largest year 2000 release of CIA documents . New York times reports CIA attempts to withdraw and reclassify earlier declassified documents.
I'm relocating this here for the moment for two reasons: a)it refers to a number of operations in one section; as a general rule these would each be better on side pages that loaded onto the main profile page; b) from a quick scan part of it is a dump from Wikipedia; given Wikiepdia has better pages on these already I'm not sure of the wisdom of starting afresh here; I'm not persuaded that we are really going to add to the total sum of knowledge from simply duplicating what is available elsewhere; and they aren't pages we really have a pool of people interested in to keep them in good shape. --Bob Burton 01:02, 6 November 2006 (EST)
CIA Mind Control Declassified Documents
Project MKULTRA (also known as MK-ULTRA) was the code name for a CIA mind-control research program that began in the 1950s. There is much published evidence that the project involved not only the use of drugs to manipulate persons, but also the use of electronic signals to alter brain functioning. The Deputy Director of the CIA revealed that over 30 universities and institutions were involved in an 'extensive testing and experimentation' program which included covert drug tests on unwitting citizens 'at all social levels, high and low, native Americans and foreign.'The Agency itself acknowledged that these tests made little scientific sense. The agents doing the monitoring were not qualified scientific observers., ,
See video on origin of psychological warfare 
Project BLUEBIRD was approved by the director of the CIA on April 20, 1950. In a 1951 memo,  Bluebird states that practical research was to be conducted to include these specific problems:
* Can we create by post-H control an action contrary to an individual’s basic moral principles? * Can we in a matter of an hour, two hours, one day, etc., induce an H [hypnotic] condition in an unwilling subject to such an extent that he will perform an act for our benefit? * Could we seize a subject and in the space of an hour or two by post-H control have him crash an airplane, wreck a train, etc.? * Can we by H and SI techniques force a subject to travel long distances, commit specified acts and return to us or bring documents or materials? * Can we guarantee total amnesia under any and all conditions? * Can we “alter” a person’s personality? * Can we devise a system for making unwilling subjects into willing agents and then transfer that control to untrained agency agents in the field by use of codes or identifying signs? * How can sodium A or P or any other sleep inducing agent be best concealed in a normal or commonplace item, such as candy, cigarettes, coffee, tea, beer, medicines? .
Operation Northwoods, or Northwoods, was a 1962 plan to generate U.S. public support for military action against the Cuban government of Fidel Castro, as part of the U.S. government's Operation Mongoose anti-Castro initiative. The plan, which was not implemented, called for various false flag actions, including simulated or real state-sponsored acts of terrorism (such as hijacked planes) on U.S. and Cuban soil. The plan was proposed by senior U.S. Department of Defense leaders, including the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Lyman Louis Lemnitzer. It has been reported that John F. Kennedy personally rejected the Northwoods proposal, but no official record of this exists., 
I deleted the unsubtantiated material cited from from the International Currency Review which is hardly a particularly credible source. --Bob Burton 01:09, 6 November 2006 (EST)
I have removed these references as they don't really have a lot of substance to them or are passing commentary. It is important to ensure that we are adding links to credible source material. I've left the Frobtline link and will check the videos tomorrow. --Bob Burton 05:17, 11 January 2007 (EST)
- MI6: Lords Of The Global Drug Trade; CIA Too by JAMES CASBOLT
- Transcript of the video: A Nation Betrayed 
- Overview of Michael Collins Piper's book "Final Judgment",Babel Magazine, Feb 9, 2003 
I deleted the section on the CIA and 9/11. A set of links to sources not exactly considered reliable. --Bob Burton 20:11, 30 January 2007 (EST)
I have deleted the ICR material again. The original ICR story is not accessible online and cannot be independently verified.
- It is not clear who produced the 'documentary' nor are there any on-screen credits for the people being interviewed, so it is impossible to verify whether they were CIA agents or not.--Bob Burton 21:17, 5 August 2008 (EDT)