Sorrell had studied Economics at Oxford University. 
In 2002, Sorrell notoriously described the advertising industry as being in a 'bath-shaped recession', which apparently meant that expenditure on advertising would slide steeply, stagnate over a prolonged period, then eventually recover. 
- International Advisory Board (chair), British American Business Council (2011) 
- Advisory Board, European Management Institute 
- Advisory Board, Cool Earth 
- Advisory Council, Business for New Europe 
- Best for Britain
- Director, Bloomberg Philanthropies 
- Paul McIntyre, "Creative malaise riles Britain's adland genius", Sydney Morning Herald, October 31, 2005.
- Staff of Brand Republic, "Divorce forces Sorrell to cash in £12m of WPP shares", Brand Republic, December 21, 2005
- Amanda Andrews, "Sorrell warns ad industry of tough 2006", The Times, December 29, 2005.
- Raymond Snoddy, "Sir Martin Sorrell: Full of Eastern promise", The Independent, January 4, 2006.
Resources and articles
- Advisory Board, European Management Institute, accessed August 26, 2008.
- Cool Earth Founders, organizational web page, accessed July 2, 2012.
- Business for New Europe Advisory Council, organizational web page, accessed December 6, 2014.
- Bloomberg Philanthropies Board, organizational web page, accessed May 12, 2020.