Learn more about corporations VOTING to rewrite our laws.
Brandt Hershman is an Indiana Senator and a member of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). He was first elected to Indiana State Senate as a Republican in 2000 and, as of 2011, he serves as the Indiana Senate Majority Whip. He is the Tax and Fiscal Policy Committee Chair and serves on the Appropriations, Elections, and State Budget committees. Hershman represents Indiana's Senate District 7, which covers Carroll, Clinton, Howard, Jasper, Tippecanoe, and White counties. He graduated from Purdue University with a B.A. in Political Science. Since 1988, he has managed his family farm, Hershman Farms. He also worked in the George H. W. Bush White House from 1989 until 1991 and he is a partner in Wilkes Innovative Technologies. He unsuccessfully ran for Congress in Indiana's 4th district in 2010.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our ExposedbyCMD.org site.
Civic and Community Activities
Sen. Hershman lists the following as his civic and community activities and awards:
- 2010 Senator David Ford Legislature Award
- AIA Award
- 2006 Indiana Telecommunications Association Legislative Champion Award
- 2006 Indiana Rural Water Alliance John Reeves Award
- 2006 Council of State Governments Henry Toll Fellow
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce 2006 Small Business Champion Award
- 2004 Indiana Soybean Growers Association President's Award
- 2004, 2008 Indiana GOP Platform Committee
- Heartland Institute Board of Advisors
- American Legislative Exchange Council: Telecom Task Force
- Council of State Government: Agriculture Committee
- National Conference of State Legislatures - State-Federal Coordinator, Standing Committee on Labor and Workforce Development, and Committee on Redistricting and Elections
- Indiana Rural Development Council, Governing Board
- Pi Kappa Phi Board of Directors, Vice President
- Indiana Corn Marketing Council member
- Statehouse Mailing Address: 200 W. Washington St., Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Statehouse Phone: 800-382-9467 or 317-232-9400
- Email: Senator.Hershman@iga.in.gov
- Legislative Assistant: Anne Hendrix 317-232-9840