Ozamiz power station

From SourceWatch
Jump to navigation Jump to search

{{#badges:CoalSwarm|Navbar-Philippinescoal}}Ozamiz power station was a proposed 300 megawatt (MW) proposed by Ozamiz Power Generation to be built near the city of Ozamiz in Misamis Occidental province in the Philippines. (In some reports Ozamiz is spelled Ozamis.)


The plant was proposed to be built in Pulot Barangay near Ozamiz City in Misamis Occidental province.[1] shown in the map below.

Loading map...


The project was proposed by Ozamiz Power Generation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Avesco Marketing Corporation. Early reports of the project date back to April 2014 when civil society organisations initiated a meeting and information campaign to discuss the mooted power plant.

Ozamis City Vice Mayor Princes Nova Parojinog-Echavez was reported as stating that an investor was considering establishing a project. “There is no agreement yet between the city government and the investor. Whatever development regarding the proposal (to build the power plant) the public will always be consulted,” she said.[2]

The final revised copy of the Feasibility Study was submitted on July 15, 2015. In 2016 it was reported that land acquisition was 95% complete, with the remaining 5% in the final process of negotiation, as well as the conversion of land designation from Agricultural to Industrial.[3]

In late June 2018 it was reported that the Ozamiz City Council had revoked its earlier resolution supporting the project and had adopted another resolution supporting the investigation of clean renewable energy projects.[4]

Project Details

  • Sponsor: Ozamiz Power Generation (a wholly owned subsidiary of Avesco Marketing Corporation)
  • Location: Barangay Pulot, Ozamiz City, Misamis Occidental province
  • Coordinates: 8.123151, 123.817026 (approximate)
  • Status: Cancelled
  • Nameplate capacity: 300 MW (2 x 150 MW units)
  • Type:
  • Projected in service:
  • Coal Type: unknown
  • Coal Source: unknown
  • Source of financing:

Public opposition

Articles and resources


  1. Philippines Department of Energy, Private Sector Initiated Power Projects (Mindanao) As of 31 May 2016, May 2016, page 1.
  2. Ruel Pelone, "Coal-fired power plant soon to rise in Ozamiz City", Business Week Mindanao, April 23, 2014.
  4. "Proposed coal-fired power plant, coal mine project shelved", Mindanao Examiner, June 30, 2018.

Related SourceWatch articles

External resources

External articles