Oliver Laurence North "1943–, American military officer, b. San Antonio, Tex. Raised in Philmont, N.Y., he entered the U.S. Marines, graduated from Annapolis (1968), served in the Vietnam War, and attained the rank of lieutenant colonel. In 1981 he was assigned to the National Security Council, and in 1983 he became the liaison to the Nicaraguan contras. In Nov., 1986, North emerged as the central figure in the Iran-contra affair. He was fired by President Reagan later that month. Under a grant of immunity he testified before Congress in July, 1987. He was convicted (1989) on criminal charges arising from the affair, but his conviction was later reversed on the grounds that immunized testimony had been used at his trial. In 1994, North was the Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate from Virginia, but he lost the election. Since 1995 he has hosted radio and television programs." --Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia.
According to Judge Walsh's final report:
- Oliver L. North was "Indicted March 16, 1988, on 16 felony counts. After standing trial on 12, North was convicted May 4, 1989 of three charges: accepting an illegal gratuity, aiding and abetting in the obstruction of a congressional inquiry, and destruction of documents. He was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Gerhard A. Gesell on July 5, 1989, to a three-year suspended prison term, two years probation, $150,000 in fines and 1,200 hours community service. A three-judge appeals panel on July 20, 1990, vacated North's conviction for further proceedings to determine whether his immunized testimony influenced witnesses in the trial. The Supreme Court declined to review the case. Judge Gesell dismissed the case September 16, 1991, after hearings on the immunity issue, on the motion of Independent Counsel."
Publications by Oliver North
- War Stories: Operation Iraqi Freedom, Regnery Publishing (November 2003), ISBN 0895260638.
Related SourceWatch Resources
- "Oliver North" in the Wikipedia.
- Bio at OliverNorth.com.
- Bio: "Oliver North" Fox News (posted September 17, 2004): "Oliver L. North serves as host of the FOX News Channel (FNC) program War Stories with Oliver North, which airs each Sunday from 8-9 p.m. (ET.)"
- Oliver North at PremiereSpeakers.com.
- Oliver North at Creators Syndicate. See website for articles written by North.
- Oliver North on Townhall.com website.
- Walsh Iran/Contra Report: Chapter 2. United States v. Oliver L. North posted by the Federation of American Scientists.
- "The Oliver North File: His Diaries, E-Mail, and Memos on the Kerry Report, Contras and Drugs," The National Security Archive.
- Oliver North.com.
By Oliver North
- Columns written by Oliver North published online by Townhall.com (March 17, 2000 to current).
- Columns written by Oliver North published online by military.com (July 19, 2002 to current).
Articles & Commentary
- "Censored News: Oliver North & Co. Banned from Costa Rica," FAIR, October/November 1989.
- Michael Kranish and Murray Waas, "Lawyers Battle Over Final Report on Iran-Contra," Boston Globe, May 29, 1994.
- John Hood, "North exposure - Oliver North," Reason (FindArticle), May 1994.
- Murray Waas "A Favor for A Felon," Washington Post, May 29, 1994.
- David Hackworth, "Drugstore marine," Playboy, June 1994 v41 n6 p90(5) (posted on airborne-ranger.com).
- Greg Grandin, "Still dancing to Ollie's tune," Asia Times, October 20, 2006.
- The GOP Hypocrite of the Week: Oliver North, BuzzFlash, December 22, 2006.
- John Amato, "Oliver North questions McCain and Lieberman’s honesty over troop escalation," Crooks and Liars, February 11, 2007.