New School University
"The New School is a legendary university in New York City, now comprising seven academic divisions. Founded in 1919 by a group of progressive educators, The New School aspired to be everything the "old school" was not—open to dissenting opinions and the avant-garde in scholarship and the arts. It found a home in Greenwich Village and a unique place in the intellectual history of the United States." 
"The New School was founded in New York City nearly a century ago by a small group of prominent American intellectuals and educators, among them Charles Beard, John Dewey, James Harvey Robinson, and Thorstein Veblen. Frustrated by the intellectual timidity of traditional colleges, they envisioned a new kind of academic institution where faculty and students would be free to address honestly and directly the problems facing societies in the 20th century. In 1919, they created a school of advanced adult education to bring creative scholars together with citizens interested in improving their understanding of the key issues of the day through active questioning, debate, and discussion. The founders named their new school The New School for Social Research.
"Over the years, The New School for Social Research, now formally named The New School, grew into an urban university with seven divisions. The university is enriched by the diversity of its students, who represent a wide range of ages, social backgrounds, aspirations, perspectives, interests, and talents." 
Accessed June 2013: 
- Joseph R. Gromek, Chair - Retired President and CEO, The Warnaco Group, Inc.
- Henry H. Arnhold - Chairman , Arnhold and S. Bleichroeder Holdings, Inc.
- Arnold H. Aronson - Partner and Managing Director of Retail Strategies, Kurt Salmon Associates
- Franci J. Blassberg, Vice Chair - Partner , Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Steven H. Bloom
- Dominique Bluhdorn - President, The Altos de Chavon Cultural Center Foundation
- Garry Crowder, Vice Chair - Managing Partner, Cortland Advisory Group
- Jane DeFlorio - Managing Director, Deutsche Bank
- Beth Rudin DeWoody - President, The Rudin Family Foundation
- Douglas D. Durst - Chairman, The Durst Organization
- Renaud Dutreil - Chairman, LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vitton Inc.
- Susan L. Foote, Vice Chair
- David B. Ford - DBF Associates
- Michael E. Gellert - General Partner, Windcrest Partners
- Paul A. Gould - Managing Director, Allen & Company LLC
- Jeffrey Gural - Chairman, Newmark Grubb Knight Frank
- Susan U. Halpern - President , The Sirus Fund
- William E. Havemeyer - President, Havemeyer Management Services, Inc.
- Robert F. Hoerle - Managing Partner, Stone Run Capital, LLC
- Sheila C. Johnson - Founder and Chief Executive Officer , Salamander Hotels & Resorts, LLC
- Michael J. Johnston - Retired Executive Vice President, The Capital Group Companies, Inc
- Chris Kuenne - Chairman , Rosetta Marketing Group
- Bevis Longstreth - Retired Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Nancy Lublin - Chief Executive Officer and Chief Old Person, DoSomething.org
- Susan M. Lyne - Chairman, Gilt Groupe Inc.
- Robert H. Mundheim - Of Counsel, Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Jonathan Newcomb
- Timothy L. Porter
- Linda E. Rappaport - Partner, Shearman & Sterling
- Joshua Sapan - President and Chief Executive Officer, AMC Networks, Inc.
- Bernard L. Schwartz - Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, BLS Investments LLC
- Mrs. James C. Slaughter
- Malcolm B. Smith - Retired Vice Chairman, General American Investors Co., Inc.
- Elliot Stein, Vice Chair- Managing Director, Commonwealth Capital Partners, L.P.
- Julien J. Studley - Principal, Studley New Vista Associates
- John L. Tishman - Chairman Emeritus , Tishman Realty & Construction Company Inc.
- Kay Unger - President, Steven Julius Foundation, Inc.
- George Walker - Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Neuberger Berman Group
- Lilian Shiao-Yen Wu - Global University Programs Executive, IBM Corporation
- Randall S. Yanker - Senior Partner and Chief Investment Officer, Alternative Asset Managers, L.P.
- William D. Zabel - Partner, Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Judith Zarin
- Walter A. Eberstadt - Retired Partner, Lazard Frères & Co., LLC
- Eugene M. Lang - Founder and Chair, The Eugene Lang Foundation
- Tomio Taki
- Philip Scaturro
Resources and articles
New School for Social Research