Content of Work
The Present as History
Shaikh interviewed "several important scholars writing on the present global configuration of power and international politics" for her first book, which was called a "rare opportunity to hear world-renowned scholars speak on the new imperialism, feminism and human rights, secularism and Islam, post-colonialism, and the global economy." Shaikh's interviewees "treat the United States as an object to be historically and politically interrogated rather than as the norm from which all else is to be evaluated and assess the Third World through its history of colonialism and neocolonialism rather than focusing on issues of culture and morality."
Shaikh's interviewees in this book include Amartya Sen, Helena Norberg-Hodge, Sanjay G. Reddy, Joseph Stiglitz, Partha Chatterjee, Mahmood Mamdani, Anatol Lieven, Shirin Ebadi, Lila Abu-Lughod, Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak, Talal Asad, and Gil Anidjar.
Education and Career
She worked at the Sustainable Development Policy Institute in Islamabad as well as the International Institute for Environment and Development in London. As of 2013, she was on the editorial board of the Rome-based journal Development.
- Peace Action Maine: Nermeen Shaikh Presentation, "Portland Media Center Youtube Channel", accessed August 25, 2019
- Translating Words: Nermeen Shaikh at TEDxDanubia 2013, “TedxTalks”, accessed August 25, 2019
- The Present as History: Critical Perspectives on Global Power(2007, Columbia University Press) ISBN 0231142986
- Amartya Sen
- Amy Goodman
- Anatol Lieven
- Democracy Now
- Helena Norberg-Hodge
- Joseph Stiglitz
- Juan González
- Mahmood Mamdani
- Shirin Ebadi
- Democracy Now! Staff, “Democracy Now!”, accessed August 25, 2019.
- Nermeen Shaikh Interview with Richard Holbrooke, “Asia Society”, accessed August 25, 2019.
- Nermeen Shaik Interview with Hina Jilani, “Asia Society”, accessed August 25, 2019.
- Nermeen Shaikh, "The Present as History: Critical Perspectives on Global Power", JSTOR, accessed December 2, 2019. JSTOR account needed to access page.
- Google Books, The Present as History: Critical Perspectives on Global Power, search engine website, accessed December 2, 2019.
- TedxDanubia Translating Words: Nermeen Shaikh at TEDxDanubia 2013, “TedxDanubia”, accessed August 25, 2019.
- The Immanent Frame Nermeen Shaikh, “Immanent Frame”, accessed August 25, 2019.