Telmen Thermal Power Plant
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Mongolia and coal|
The Telmen Thermal Power Plant, which was initially referred to as the Mogoin gol power station, is a 100-megawatt coal-fired power station under development in Western Mongolia.
The map below shows the location for the plant in Telmen soum, Zavkhan province in Mongolia. Satellite data from Planet shows construction progress. (The website of the New Asia Group describes the Mogoin gol coal mine as being 72 kilometres to the north east of the proposed power plant location.)
In 2009 the project was described as a US$110 million, 60 MW coal-fired power station that was under construction and scheduled to be commissioned by early 2012. The power station is a Build, Own Transfer project which is being financed by private companies.
In December 2009 the Yuanda Group and New Asia Mining Group announced that they had signed a contract with the Ministry of Mineral Resources and Energy, Mongolia to construct a 2 x 30 megawatt power station near the Mogoin gol coal mine in northwestern Hovsgol Province. The Chinese company, CMEC Corporation, is a contractor for the construction work. Later reports refer to a 2 x 50 MW plant. The sponsor's website lists the following milestones:
- Construction agreement - December 2009
- BOT concession agreement - May 2011, June 2013
- Land use approval - June 2011
- EIA approval - 2011
- Construction special permit - January 2012
- Water use approval - 2011
- Coal supply agreement - 2011
- Power Purchase Agreement - 2011
In December 2013 it was reported that construction would start soon and take 18 months. The sponsor's website states that "the company entered into the Investment with a partner company in China" and "is in active discussions with international investment banks and private equity firms. Investors who are interested in the project are currently finalizing due diligence of the project."
In April 2018 Henan Senyuan Electric Co. of Henan Senyuan Group Co. won a USD182 million engineering, procurement and construction contract with Mongolia’s New Asia Group Co. for the 100-megawatt facility’s construction. New Asia Group will develop, own and operate the plant. China Export & Credit Insurance Corp. (Sinosure) will provide risk coverage for the project, with the contractor set to raise funds worth 85 percent of the contract price through supplier credit. The contract marks Henan Senyuan’s "first large-scale order in the international market". The firm will procure Chinese equipment for use in the project.
Project Details of Expansion
- Sponsor: New Asia Group
- Parent company: Yuanda Group and New Asia Mining Group
- Location: Huren tal in Telmen Soum, Zavkhan
- Coordinates: 48.6422328, 97.6090391 (exact)
- Status: Construction
- Gross Capacity: 100 MW (2 x 50 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service: 2023
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: Henan Senyuan Group Co. (China)
Articles and resources
- "Telmen Thermal Power Plant Project", New Asia Group website, accessed August 2014.
- Yuanda Group, "Mogoin Gol Power Plant ", Media Release, December 29 2009.
- " Telmen Power Plant construction to start soon," montsame.gov.mn, Dec 27 2013
- "Mongolia signs long-awaited $1.3bn PPP deal with Engie-led consortium," BNE, August 4, 2015
- "SREP Investment Plan for Mongolia," Climate Investment Fund, Nov 2015
- "Speaker's Province Tour Heads West," The UB Post, 2017-02-15
- “Preparation of an Investment Plan for Scaling up Renewable Energy in Mongolia” project”, 2015; NSO, 2016; “Energy Statistics 2015”, ERC; cited in "MONGOLIA'S INITIAL BIENNIAL UPDATE REPORT," unfccc, Aug 6, 2017
- "Senyuan Group Wins First Overseas Contract at Mongolian Coal Plant," Yicai Global, Apr 12, 2018
- "中国港湾 中国电建 中国能建 森源电气等," 蓝箭头, 2018-04-13