Kaltim-5 power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
Kaltim-5 power station is a 200-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant proposed in East Kalimantan, Indonesia.
The map below shows the approximate location of the project, in East Kalimantan Province.
Background on Plant
This project is mentioned on Table 13 of the 2015-2024 PT PLN long range supply plan, scheduled for 2023 and 2024. It comprises two units of 200 MW each. In the 2016-2025 long range plan, it is moved forward from 2024 to 2023.
A PT PLN September 2015 list of companies interested in mine-mouth IPP plants did not show any companies interested in the project.
In November 2017, PT Indonesia Power, a subsidiary of state-owned electricity company PT Perusahaan Listrik Negara (PLN), announced that it had agreed to team up with energy company PT Adaro Energy Tbk to develop a mine-mouth power plant in East Kalimantan, called PLTU Kaltim 5. The power plant will have installed capacity of 2×100 MW. The project will be developed by a joint venture company in which Indonesia Power holds 51% stakes and Adaro Energy 49%.
In February 2018 PT Perusahaan announced that it would be acquiring a number of coal mining sites to power proposed coal-fired plants in Kalimantan, among them Kaltim-5.
In February 2019 the RUPTL for 2019-2028 delayed the project's two units to 2027 and 2028. In April 2019 it was disclosed that Adaro had withdrawn from the project in 2018, and PT PLN stated that it plans to review the RUPTL for 2019-2028 to determine whether to proceed or cancel the project.
- Sponsor: IPP project with PT PLN
- Parent company: Indonesia Power
- Location: East Kalimantan, Indonesia
- Coordinates: -0.9118267, 117.1952823 (approximate)
- Status: Announced
- Gross Capacity: 2 x 100 MW or 1 x 100 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Start date: 2027, 2028
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Executive Summary: Electricity Supply Business Plan PT PLN (Persero) 2015-2024"
- “Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik, PT PLN (Persero), 2016-2025,” Kementerian Energi Dan Sumber Daya Mineral, June 2016
- "Daftar Peminat IPP PLTU Mulut Tambang," Satuan Pengadan IPP, September 2015
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2017-2026, PT PLN Persero, p. VI-58
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2017-2026, PT PLN Persero, p. VI-59
- PLN Unit and Adaro Team Up on Mine-Mouth Power Plant, RambuEnergy, Nov. 23, 2017
- PLN immediately acquires coal mines in Kalimantan, IDN Financials, Feb. 28, 2018
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2019-2028, PT PLN Persero, V-53
- PLN akan lihat lagi RUPTL terkait nasib PLTU Kaltim 5, Kontan, Apr. 29, 2019