KTVI-2, FOX (TV Station)
|Fake TV News: A CMD Special Report|
|This article is part of the Center for Media and Democracy's special report, Fake TV News: Widespread and Undisclosed.|
Click here to read the report summary.
KTVI-2 is a St Louis, Missouri television station and an affiliate of the FOX television network.
Use of Video News Releases and/or Satellite Media Tours
In the 9pm news bulletin on October 28, 2005 the station broadcast an un-edited but re-voiced version of a video news release produced by D S Simon Productions for the Masterfoods and 1-800-Flowers suggesting Halloween gift ideas. The VNR was produced for Edelman. 
In the 6pm news bulletin on October 27, 2005 the station broadcast an un-edited but re-voiced version of a video news release produced by D S Simon Productions for Trend Micro on e-mail 'phishing' scams. 
Response to Report
On May 31, 2006, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch "Talking Tech" blog reported: 
- KTVI-TV, the Fox Broadcasting Co. affiliate in St. Louis, is keeping quiet following a media watchdog’s report alleging the station ran two public relations features as news and didn’t cite their source. ...
- Talking Tech left e-mails and phone messages for general manager Spencer Koch and consumer affairs reporter Margie Ellisor, who did the narration for the feature segments in question.
- Instead, Fox’s vice president of media relations Erica Keane called us back and read a statement.
- “The Fox television stations’ policy is clear: All outside news reporting that is used by this station must be identified as to the source,” Keane said. “We are taking appropriate steps to reiterate this policy to our entire stations group.”
- Keane declined further comment.
5915 Berthold Avenue,
St. Louis, MO 63110
- Audio news releases
- Brand Hype
- Branded Entertainment
- Media releases
- Satellite Media Tours
- Radio Media Tours
- Public Service Announcements
- Video news releases: PR for California's Schwarzenegger administration
- Diane Farsetta and Daniel Price, "Fake TV News: Widespread and Undisclosed: A multimedia report on television newsrooms' use of material provided by PR firms on behalf of paying clients", Center for Media and Democracy, April 6, 2006.
- David Sheets, "KTVI is mum on claims it showed fake news," St. Louis Post-Dispatch "Talking Tech" blog, May 31, 2006.