Iran's oil industry
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- "Petroleum has been the main industry in Iran since the 1920s. Iran was the world's fourth largest producer of crude oil and the second largest exporter of petroleum at the peak of its oil industry in the mid-1970s. The war with Iraq cut Iran's production in the 1980s, although Iranian oil reserves remained the fourth largest in the world." 
- "In 2000, Iran, which was the world’s fourth largest producer of crude oil, averaged about 3.72 million barrels per day (Mbbl/d)." 
- "As of late 2002, Iran held 90 billion barrels of proven oil reserves, or roughly 9% of the world's total. The vast majority of Iran's crude oil reserves are located in giant onshore fields in the southwestern Khuzestan region near the Iraqi border and the Persian Gulf." 
- "Iran's economy relies heavily on oil export revenues - around 80-90 percent of total export earnings and 40-50 percent of the government budget." 
- 1 Iranian Oil & Halliburton
- 2 Iranian Oil & Gas Companies
- 3 Oil & Gas Companies Operating in Iran
- 4 SourceWatch Resources
- 5 External links
Iranian Oil & Halliburton
- Iran, Halliburton Watch.
- "Halliburton Connected to Office in Iran," Dow Jones News (Ratical.org), February 1, 2001.
- Kenny Bruno and Jim Valette, "Cheney & Halliburton: Go Where the Oil Is," Multinational Monitor (magazine) (ThirdWorldTraveler), May 2001.
- Colum Lynch, "Halliburton's Iraq Deals Greater Than Cheney Has Said. Affiliates Had $73 Million in Contracts," Washington Post (truthout), June 23, 2001.
- Lee Drutman and Charlie Cray, "Halliburton, Dick Cheney, and Wartime Spoils," Common Dreams, April 3, 2003.
- Lee Drutman and Charlie Cray, "Halliburton, Dick Cheney, and wartime spoils," Citizen Works (last updated April 4, 2003).
- "Trading With the 'Enemy': Halliburton & GE Make Millions Trading With Iran," Democracy Now!, July 16, 2003.
- David Teather, "Halliburton faces Iran inquiry," Guardian (UK), March 14, 2004.
- Marc Perelman, "Halliburton/Cheney Investigated For Iran Deals," Houston Indymedia, June 16, 2004.
- "Iran Oil Probe Focuses on Halliburton," Associated Press (Fox News), July 21, 2004.
- Jason Leopold, "Halliburton Ignores Sanctions," Antiwar.com, July 23, 2004.
- "Cheney Pushed for More Trade With Iran," Associated Press (Fox News), October 9, 2004.
- "Halliburton wins drilling tender in Iran. The company insists it is not illegal for it to work in Tehran," The Daily Times (Pakistan), January 10, 2005.
- "Senator Lautenberg Calls on Halliburton to Rescind New Business Deal with Iran. Deal Between Terrorist Gov't in Iran and Halliburton Announced Over Weekend," Senator Frank R. Lautenberg's Official Senate website, January 10, 2005.
- Eli Lake, "Halliburton Unit Wins Contract in Iran. State Dept. Says It Is 'Looking Into This'," New York Sun, January 12, 2005.
- Andrew Tully, "Halliburton coy on Iran gas deal," Asia Times, January 13, 2005.
- M.K. Bhadrakumar, "The business end of US, Iran ties," Asia Times, January 14, 2005.
- Jefferson Morley, "Halliburton Doing Business With the 'Axis of Evil'," Washington Post, February 3, 2005.
- S. 299. "A bill to make information regarding certain investments in the energy sector in Iran available to the public, and for other purposes; to the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs," Congressional Record: February 7, 2005 (Senate) Page S1051-S1053 (posted online by Federation of American Scientists).
- Lisa Myers, "Halliburton operates in Iran despite sanctions. How do U.S. contractors legally do business there?" MSNBC, March 8, 2005.
- William Fisher, "Double trouble for Halliburton," Asia Times, April 23, 2005.
- Jeffrey St. Clair, "Sticky Fingers. The Making of Halliburton," CounterPunch, July 14, 2005.
- "Iran’s top nuclear negotiator faces charges over Halliburton ties," Iran Focus, July 29, 2005.
- Jason Leopold, "Halliburton Secretly Doing Business with Key Member of Iran's Nuclear Team," Common Dreams, August 6, 2005.
- Jason Leopold, "Halliburton and Iran. Still Doing Business After All These Years?" CounterPunch, August 6-8, 2005.
- Jason Leopold, "Halliburton Sold Iranian Oil Company Key Nuclear Reactor Components, Sources Say," The Free Press, August 10, 2005.
- Jason Leopold, "Playing with fire: Halliburton’s ties with terrorism," Online Opinion, September 1, 2005.
- "Iran terminates Halliburton contract over fears of espionage," Halliburton Watch, September 5, 2005.
Iranian Oil & Gas Companies
- National Iranian South Oil Company (NISOC).
- Pars Oil Co.
- Qeshm Island Refinery, Iran: "a new refinery in Iran, part of the Iranian government's Free Enterprise Zone, specifically targeting foreign investment."
Oil & Gas Companies Operating in Iran
- The ABB Group (Germany).
- BG Group (UK).
- BHP Billiton (Australia).
- Bow Valley Energy Ltd. (Canada).
- BP Global Iran.
- BureauVeritas (France).
- CESPA (Spain).
- Eni S.p.A. (Italy).
- Gazprom (Russia).
- INPEX (Japan).
- JAPEX (Japan).
- LG (Korea Republic).
- Lukoil (Russia).
- Lundin Petroleum AB (Sweden).
- Norsk Hydro (Norway).
- S.C. Petrom S.A. (Romania).
- Petronas (Malaysia).
- Repsol (Repsolypf) (Spain).
- Shell Iran Nowrooz/Soroosh Development.
- Statoil (Norway).
- TotalFinaElf SA (France).
- Ultramar (Canada).
- China-Iran-Russia axis
- India's oil industry
- oil industry
- peak oil
- peak oil: we have oil
- Alexander's Gas & Oil Connections.
- Energy Information Administration, U.S. Department of Energy:
- OPEC Fact Sheet and Iran Facts & Figures.
- Parstimes: Iran Oil & Gas News and Iran: Oil Nationalization.
Maps & Charts
- Oil Production Graphs of 42 Countries, dieoff.org.
- Maps Showing Geology, Oil and Gas Fields and Geologic Provinces of Iran, USGS.
- Maps of the Oil Corridor: Iraq/Iran, RumorMillNews.
- "George W. Bush - Terrorist in the White House. Oil & Empires," nogw.com; maps, charts, and links to current news.
Documents & Reports
- "Statements on Iran Oil Accord," Associated Press, August 6, 1954.
- Seyed Mohsen Yahyavi, "Iran's Oil Performance," Iran Today (Monthly Economic Magazine), January 1998 (No. 18).
- Iraq Oil Report 2005, Research and Markets, February 2005.
Iran to India Overland Gas Pipeline
- "Proposed Iran to India Overland Gas Pipeline: Project Overview," India Oil & Gas Conference, Paul Samson, Vice President, BHP Billiton.
- Shamila N. Chaudhary, "Iran to India Natural Gas Pipeline: Implications for Conflict Resolution & Regionalism in India, Iran, and Pakistan," TED Case Study, American University, undated 2000.
Articles & Commentary
- Khoshbakht Yusufzade, "Azerbaijan and Iran Oil Industry Cooperation," Azerbaijanian International, Spring 1998.
- "Oil firms: Excessive profits?" BBC, May 8, 2001.
- Abbas Alnasrawi, "Oil, Sanctions, Debt and the Future - Iraq," Arab Studies Quarterly (FindArticles), Fall 2001.
- Briony Hale, "Tide turns against the oil firms," BBC, December 31, 2001.
- "Oil price plummets on Baghdad offer," BBC, September 17, 2002.
- James Whittington, "Iran's oil deals face deadlock," BBC, November 26, 2002.
- S.A. Alavi, "The impact of sanctions against I.R. Iran, Iraq and Libya with special focus on Iran's oil & gas upstream contracts," Alexander's Gas & Oil Connections, March 2003.
- Hooman Peimani, "Iran's oil bonanza and its problems," Asia Times, July 18, 2003.
- "Japan Plans Second Iran Loan to Secure Oil Amid U.S. Protests," Bloomberg News (Iran Expert), February 23, 2004.
- Khaled Yacoub Oweis, Interview: "Iraq says to start Iran oil pipeline by end-2004," Reuters (Forbes), March 26, 2004.
- "Oil Minister says Iran's oil industry in dire need of development," IRNA (Payvand), July 5, 2004.
- Michael Isikoff, "The Iran Factor. Tehran may have facilitated terror by giving safe passage and 'clean' passports to Al Qaeda members, says the panel investigating the attacks," Newsweek, July 17, 2004.
- "Doing Business With The Enemy," CBS News, August 29, 2004.
- "Iran, China to boost energy cooperation," IRNA (Teheran Times/Energy Bulletin), October 28, 2004.
- "China signs $70 billion oil and LNG agreement with Iran. Deal's political benefits could arrive before economic ones," Agence France Presse (The Daily Star (China)), October 30, 2004.
- Jim Lobe, "Neo-Con Agenda: Iran, China, Russia, Latin America ..." Inter Press News, November 5, 2004.
- Kavah L. Afrasiabi, "China Rocks the Geopolitical Boat with Iran Oil Deal," Asia Times (ZNet), December 2, 2004.
- "Foreign investment in Iran’s oil industry on the rise despite U.S. sanctions," MNA, March 8, 2005.
- "Industry, energy deals to boost Iran-Venezuela ties," Muzi Daily News, March 9, 2005.
- "Iran's oil industry investments to reach 150 billion dollars," IRNA (Payvand), April 14, 2005.
- "The Norwegian oil industry and cooperation with Iran." "Speech given by H. E. State Secretary Oluf Ulseth of the Norwegian Ministry of Petroleum and Energy at a Norwegian topical luncheon at the International Oil and Gas Exhibition in Teheran, Iran," April 14, 2005.
- Narsi Ghorban, "The Need To Restructure Iran’s Petroleum Industry (Revisited After Eight Years)," Middle East Economic Survey, June 13, 2005.
- Hasshem Kalantari, "Thai, Chinese Firms Sign Deals to Develop Iran Oil Fields," Dow Jones News (RIGZONE), June 13, 2005.
- Siddharth Srivastava, "US plays spoiler in India-Pakistan pipeline accord," Asia Times, June 16, 2005.
- Siddharth Srivastava, "India, Pakistan dig in over pipeline," Asia Times, July 15, 2005.
- Ambrose Evans-Pritchard, "Hardliner in Iran has oil market spooked," Telegraph (UK), June 27, 2005.
- "$300 bln energy deals in 8 years: Iran Oil Minister," Iran Mania (PowerStruggle), July 27, 2005.
- David Isenberg, "The fuel behind Iran's nuclear drive," Asia Times, August 24, 2005.
- Toni Straka, "Killing the Dollar in Iran," Asia Times, August 26, 2005.
- Pepe Escobar, "Iran takes over Pipelineistan," Asia Times, September 10, 2005.
- "Baghdad to seek Iran's help in oil industry," Iran Mania, October 16, 2005.
- "Iran seeks to sign key oil deal with China," Reuters (China Daily), December 19, 2005.
- Soj, "A Story About Oil You NEED To Hear," Daily Kos, December 27, 2005.
- Hitoki Nakagawa, "Inpex pushes ahead with Iran oil field," The Asahi Shimbun, December 30, 2005.
- Victor Davis Hanson, "Oil myths keep corrupt regimes in power," The Mercury News, January 12, 2006.
- Pepe Escobar, "In the heart of Pipelineistan," Asia Times, March 17, 2006.
- Lola Nayar, "India's gas deals with Iran run into price hurdles," New Kerala (India), May 2, 2006.
- Pepe Escobar, "Russia and Iran lead the new energy game," Asia Times, July 12, 2006.