Home School Legal Defense Association
Home School Legal Defense Association was founded in 1983. According to their website, "HSLDA is a nonprofit national membership organization of families who homeschool their children. HSLDA is organized as a 501(c)(4) nonprofit, tax-exempt organization under the rules of the IRS.
The Federal Relations Department (formerly known as the National Center for Home Education) is a department of Home School Legal Defense Association that focuses on federal legislation, grassroots lobbying, and research." 
In answer to the question, "Is HSLDA a Christian Organization?", they respond:
"Yes; however, HSLDA’s mission is to protect the freedom of all homeschoolers. Although our officers and directors are Christians, HSLDA membership is not limited to religiously based homeschoolers. We respect parents' rights to make the appropriate choices for the upbringing of their children. We have no agenda to make all public and home-based classrooms religious or conservative. Our primary objective is to preserve the fundamental right of parents to choose home education, free of over-zealous government officials and intrusive laws. We do put on a national conference annually and invite the board members of state organizations with whom we have worked for many years. Most, if not all, of those organizations have Christian leaders, but many serve all homeschoolers regardless of religious affiliation, as we do." 
Supporting Mike Huckabee in 2008 presidential Election
The New York Times reported on December 17, 2007, that "'Mike is the kind of candidate we have hoped for,' said Michael Farris, an evangelical Christian and chairman of the Home School Legal Defense Association, a group that defends parents' rights to educate their children at home. 'He's a man who shares a world view with evangelical Christians.'" 
"It is impossible to say that the God of the Bible would sanction rights of homosexual marriage. Thus, there is no such right in a God-based theory of rights. Any man-made theory of rights is no theory at all. Thus, the argument for gay rights is an argument that fundamentally erodes the very premise of all human rights as rights. HSLDA is not willing to move into an era of human privileges. We believe this would jeopardize our liberty to teach our children at home and bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord." 
HSLDA Position on the United Nations
"We do not have an official position regarding the United Nations. However, it is accurate to say that we’ve become more and more concerned about the sovereignty of the United States vis-à-vis the United Nations as expressed by its policies on religious liberty, human rights, children’s rights, and the family. The UN Treaty on the Rights of the Child is an example of the UN’s view of the family. We oppose the UN Treaty on the Rights of the Child because it would strip parents of much of their authority to educate, train, and nurture their children according to the dictates of their conscience." 
Other Organizations Founded by HSLDA
- Home School Foundation: "HSF was founded by HSLDA to provide assistance to homeschooling families in need, preserve parental freedoms, promote homeschooling, and support like-minded organizations."
- Patrick Henry College: Founded by HSLDA in 2000. "Our board’s purpose for founding the college remains the same and HSLDA continues to support Patrick Henry College financially and structurally. Specifically, HSLDA donates net publications revenues, use of facility space, and scholarships for students that are from HSLDA member families."
- [Generation Joshua]]: Founded by HSLDA in 2004. "Generation Joshua has three main components, each designed to teach homeschooled teens important aspects of civic involvement: (1) civics education, (2) nonpartisan political activity, such as voter registration drives, and (3) active involvement in the campaigns of a few candidates prayerfully selected by HSLDA's board of directors for their character and their positions on issues of importance to our members." The Generation Joshua website is www.generationjoshua.org
- J. Michael Smith, Esq., President and Cofounder of Home School Legal Defense Association (est.1983), President of the National Center for Home Education (est. 1989)
- Michael P. Farris, Esq., Chairman and Cofounder of Home School Legal Defense Association
- Christopher J. Klicka, Esq., Senior Counsel, Director of State and International Relations
- Dewitt T. Black III, Esq., Senior Counsel
- Ian Slatter, Director of Media Relations
- James R. Mason III, Esq., Senior Counsel