Concepcion power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of the The Philippines and coal|
Concepcion power station is a 270-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant under development in Oloilo Province, Philippines.
The map below shows the location of the plant, in Nipa Barangay, Concepcion Municipality, Iloilo Province.
Background on plant
Palm Concepcion Power Corporation, a subsidiary of real estate company A Brown Company, is currently building a two-unit coal-fired power plant with a total planned capacity of 270 MW in Oloilo Province. Financing was secured in July 2013. Ground was broken on Unit 1 in July 2013, and on Unit 2 in September 2014. In March 2014, Palm Concepcion signed a construction (EPC) contract with Frey-Fil Corporation for construction of the plant's coal unloading dock.
Unit 2 began construction in late 2016. Test commissioning was planned for March 2018, and the start of commercial operations is planned for December 2018. The unit is expected to cost P12 billion, or around $250 million. Financing will come 70% from loans and 30% from internally generated funds. As of March 2019 the target commissioning date for Unit 2 was some time in 2019, according the Philippine Department of Energy.
On October 29, 2017 several residents of Iloilo City got sick after being exposed to an outflow of fly ash from Unit 1 as its chambers were being cleaned.
- Sponsor: Palm Concepcion Power Corporation
- Parent company: A Brown Company
- Location: Nipa Barangay, Concepcion Municipality, Iloilo Province, Philippines
- Coordinates: 11.1875824, 123.1207209 (exact)
- Status: Operating (Unit 1), Construction (Unit 2)
- Gross Capacity: 270 MW (Units 1 & 2: 135 MW)
- Type: Circulating fluidized bed
- Projected in service: 2016 (Unit 1), 2019 (Unit 2)
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Private Sector Initiated Power Plants: Visayas, Philippines Department of Energy, 30 Sept. 2014.
- Palm Concepcion taps EPC for Iloilo power plant project, Philippine Star, 26 Mar. 2014.
- Montealegre, Krista. Ayala group pulls out of Iloilo coal-fired power plant project. InterAksyon, 14 May 2013.
- Danessa Rivera, "Palm Concepcion readies start of first 135-MW coal plant unit," The Philippine Star, August 3, 2016
- President Duterte inaugurates 135-MW Concepcion Power Plant, Update Philippines, 28 Nov. 2016.
- Here are the big impact power projects for 2018, Power Philippines, Jan. 31, 2018
- Concepcion phase 2 plant to cost P11-12 billion, Business World, 22 July 2016.
- PRIVATE SECTOR INITIATED POWER PROJECTS (VISAYAS) COMMITTED, Philippine Department of Energy, Mar. 31, 2019
- No explosion in Iloilo power plant, residents safe, Manilla Bulletin, 4 Nov 2017
- New power plant project in Iloilo breaks ground, Ayala Corporation press release, 2 Feb. 2013.