Churk captive power station
Churk captive power station is a proposed 240-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Uttar Pradesh, India.
The satellite imagery shows the project near Churk village.
Background on Plant
The proposal is for a 4x60 MW imported coal-based power station and 1.0 MTPA cement grinding unit at village Churk in Uttar Pradesh. The power plant would be captive to cement grinding. The project received environmental clearance in December 2012, but commenced construction prior to receiving approval, in violation of India provisions.
The Union Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) had rejected the proposal for wildlife clearance four months earlier due to the project's proximity to Kaimur Wildlife Sanctuary. According to the terms of the Environmental Clearance (EC), the project must still receive clearance from the National Board of Wildlife, and the granting of the EC does not guarantee that wildlife clearance will be obtained.
In March 2014 Jaiprakash Associates reported the project was under implementation.
Unit 1 was commissioned in March 2015.
The time slider feature of Google Earth shows four units initially under construction in 2012, but only three projects continuing to completion. In the latest views available as of October 2016, a construction crane remains at the site, indicating that construction continues on at least one of the units. Planet satellite images from October 2016 to April 2018 show limited progress.
- Sponsor: Jaiprakash Associates
- Parent company: Jaypee Group
- Location: Churk village, Robertganj taluk, Sonebhadra district, Uttar Pradesh
- Coordinates: 24.6391037, 83.1010848 (exact)
- Status: Operating (Unit 1), Construction (Units 2-3), Cancelled (Unit 4)
- Unit 1: 60 MW
- Unit 2: 60 MW
- Unit 3: 60 MW
- Unit 4: 60 MW
- Start date: 2015 (Unit 1)
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Imported
- Source of financing:
- Permits and applications: Environmental clearance, India MoEF, Dec 18, 2012
Resources and articles
- Environmental clearance, India MoEF, Dec 18, 2012.
- "Jaypee’s power plant project in Sonbhadra hits green hurdle," Indian Express, Aug 18 2012.
- Form A, Jaiprakash Associates, Mar 31, 2014
- "Annual Report: 2014-2015," Jaypee Group, 2015
- "Annual Report 2015-16," Jaiprakash Associates Limited, p. 7
- "Annual Report 2016-17," Jaiprakash Associates Limited, p. 8