Bakrie Sangatta power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
Bakrie Sangatta power station (or Sangatta Mines power station) is a proposed 200-megawatt (MW) mine-mouth coal-fired power plant in East Kalimantan Province, Indonesia.
The map below shows the location of the Kaltim Prima Coal Sangatta mine, the approximate location where the plant would be built, in East Kutai (Kutai Timur) Regency, East Kalimantan Province.
Background on Project
In July 2009, the Bakrie Group first announced plans to build a two-unit, 200-MW mine-mouth coal-fired power plant near Kaltim Prima Coal's Sangatta coal mine in East Kalimantan. The project was scheduled to begin construction in 2010, and to go online in 2013.
In February 2012, Bakrie once again stated its intention to build the plant, after presenting their plans to the East Kalimantan governor. At that point, the project had already gone through technical studies and environmental assessment. Cost at that time was given as $350-400 million, and Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO) had been brought into the project as contractor. Bakrie planned to begin construction in 2013, and bring the plant online in 2016.  In May 2012, Bakrie gave 2017 as the plant's completion date.
There has been little mention of the project since then, and it is unclear whether it is still active. With no developments in four years, it appears as of May 2016 that the project has been abandoned.
- Sponsor: PT Bakrie Indo Infrastructure
- Parent company: Bakrie Group
- Location: Sangatta Mining Area, East Kutai (Kutai Timur) Regency, East Kalimantan Province, Indonesia
- Coordinates: 0.605, 117.481 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross capacity: 200 MW (Units 1 & 2: 100 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service: 2017
- Coal type:
- Coal source: Kaltim Prima Coal Sangatta coal mine, East Kalimantan
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- KPC Sangatta Mining Area, Wikimapia, accessed Mar. 2015.
- Bakrie Power Bangun PLTU di Kalimantan Timur, Tempo, 14 July 2009.
- Bakrie Power akan bangun PLTU Mulut Tambang, Antara News, 12 Feb. 2012.
- Bakrie Power-Kepco Investasi US$ 400 Juta, Bakrie Global press release, 15 Feb. 2012.
- Bakrie Power Targetkan Proyek PLTU Mulut Tambang Beroperasi 2017, Bakrie Global press release, 1 May 2012.