Learn more about corporations VOTING to rewrite our laws.
3M, located in St. Paul, Minnesota, has since dropped its original name Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Co. It sells its products worldwide with annual revenues of $22.9 billion - 2/3 of sales are outside the US. It makes products such as reflective materials for highway signs and license plates, circuits used in inkjet printers and cell phones, dental and medical supplies, safety products such as respirators, and industrial materials, tapes, and adhesives. More familiar products are Scotch tape, Post-it notes, and Scotch-Brite cleaning products.  
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
- 3M was founded in 1902 in Minnesota, USA with the name Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Co. It mined a mineral deposit for making grinding-wheel abrasives.
- In the early 1920s waterproof sandpaper was developed.
- In 1925 masking tape was invented.
- In the 1970s and 1980s it expanded into pharmaceuticals, radiology and energy control.
- Thomas K. Brown, Pamela Craig, David B. Dillon, Michael L. Eskew, Herbert L. Henkel, Amy E. Hood, Muhtar Kent, Edward M. Liddy, Dambisa F. Moyo, Gregory R. Page, Michael Roman, Patricia A. Woertz 
Former Personnel (2007)
- George W. Buckley, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer
- Frederick J. Palensky, Executive Vice President, Research and Development
- Inge G. Thulin Executive, Vice President, International Operations
Selected board members:
- Vance D. Coffman, Retired Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer, Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Michael L. Eskew, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer, United Parcel Service Inc.
- Edward M. Liddy, Chairman and former Chief Executive Officer, The Allstate Corporation
St. Paul, MN 55144
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Profile, Hoovers, accessed July 2007.
- 3M Businesses, 3M, accessed July 2007.
- Clearinghouse on Environmental Advocacy and Research, project of the Environmental Working Group, Information on American Legislative Exchange Council, archived organizational profile, archived by Wayback Machine December 2, 2000, accessed August 19, 2011
- History, 3M, accessed July 2007.
- 2006 PAC Summary Data, Open Secrets, accessed July 2007.
- 3M Board, organizational web page, accessed April 5, 2020.
- Corporate Officers, accessed July 2007.
- Directors, accessed July 2007.