Port of New Orleans
graphic position=top | background=FFF | border=BA2725 | image=/images/a/aa/Coalswarm_badge.gif | width=216 | height=60 | title=Portal:Coal Issues | link=http://coalswarm.org |text=This article is part of the Coal Issues portal on SourceWatch, a project of Global Energy Monitor and the Center for Media and Democracy. See here for help on adding material to CoalSwarm.}}
The Port of New Orleans is located in Louisiana’s Lower Mississippi River. It is first in the United States based on volume of cargo handled. The area is served by a 14,500-mile inland waterway system and six railroads.
United Bulk Terminal and International Marine Terminals are the two major coal terminals in Louisiana, both located in the Port of New Orleans. Coal exports from New Orleans reached 25 million tonnes in 2012, three times higher than in 2008. However, exports fell to 18 million tonnes in 2013 and 9.4 million tonnes in 2014.
The Port of New Orleans exports coal to markets primarily in Asia and Europe. Most of the tonnage traveling through the Port of New Orleans originates in Central Appalachia and the Illinois Basin. It arrives at the mouth of the Mississippi River by barge before being loaded into larger ocean going vessels.
In August 2012, New Jersey company FJS Energy signed a $7 million deal with India's Abhijeet Group to purchase coal from Kentucky and West Virginia. Under the deal, Kentucky coal companies will export about 8.1 million tonnes of coal annually for 25 years to India's Abhijeet Group. The first shipment is scheduled to depart from New Orleans Port in Louisiana for India in September 2012. In September 2012 it was reported that the deal looked uncertain as Abhijeet Group was accused of misrepresenting facts and making false claims in applying for blocks in India, known as Coalgate.
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Coal exports from northwest United States ports
- Louisiana and coal
- Washington (state) and coal
- Coal terminals
- "Port of New Orleans: Home," Port of New Orleans Website, accessed August 2012.
- Sylvie Cornot-Gandolphe “US Coal Exports: The Long Road to Asian Markets,” Oxford OIES PAPER: CL 2, March 2015
- "Locations," Coal Network, accessed May 2015
- "India to get coal from Kentucky," UPI, Aug. 17, 2012.
- "First shipment of US coal under $7-b export deal to set sail for India next month," The Hindu BusinessLine, Aug. 22, 2012.
- "Uncertainty over Abhijeet Group's US agreement," Hindustan Times, Sep 6, 2012