Pacific Gas and Electric Company
In September 2010, a PG&E transmission pipeline failed at a poorly constructed weld and exploded in San Bruno, killing eight people and destroying 38 homes. According to an internal document obtained by The Chronicle in 2012, PG&E suggested to managers before the San Bruno pipeline explosion that downgrading more than 2,300 natural-gas leaks - and potentially not fixing them - would save the company nearly $5 million.
Ties to the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)
PG&E has been a funder of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) in at least 2010 ($5,000) and 2002 and advertised in the program for the 1998 ALEC 25th Anniversary Annual Conference.
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
- Amanda Witherell, ""Going to bat for PG&E: Bait and switch on the stadium solar deal?", San Francisco Bay Guardian, March 28, 2007.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
- Amanda Witherell,
"Green isn't PG&E", San Francisco Bay Guardian, April 17, 2007.
Resources and articles
- Mel Lane - former board member
- Jaxon Van Derbeken, "PG&E memo: Downgrading leaks would cut costs," SF Gate, July 17, 2012.
- Pacific Gas & Electric Company, Redacted Report of Pacific Gas and Electric Company Pursuant to General Order No. 77-M For the Year Ended December 31, 2010, corporate annual report, 2010, p. 116.
- Defenders of Wildlife, Natural Resources Defense Council, "Chapter Four: The Deep Pockets," Corporate America's Trojan Horse in the States: The Untold Story Behind the American Legislative Exchange Council, online report, 2003, accessed April 2012.
- American Legislative Exchange Council, 25th Annual Meeting, organizational brochure, August 18-22, 1998, archived in Tobacco Library, accessed April 2012.