Hatfield Mine is an underground coal mining operation in Logan County, West Virginia, owned and operated by Alpha Natural Resources.
In June 2012 Alpha said it was permanently closing its Superior Surface Mine, the Hatfield underground mine and the Stirrat prep plant in Logan County. According to the AP: "The decisions are driven by a combination of low demand and low coal prices as consumption of cheap natural gas grows. [Alpha spokesperson Ted] Pile said new estimates on the number of coal-fired power plants being retired also rose this week, while coal stockpiles are at near-record levels."
- MSHA ID:
- Controller: Alpha Natural Resources
- County: Logan
- State: WV
- 2007 Production (short tons):
- Coal Type:
- Mining Method:
- Mine Status: Active
- Average No. of Employees:
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- West Virginia and coal
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- Vicki Smith, "Alpha set to close 2 W.Va. mines, cut back at others," Associated Press, June 28, 2012.
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration