Altbach power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Germany and coal.|
Altbach power station is an 855-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany.
The undated satellite below shows the plant in Altbach, Esslingen.
The first power plant in Altbach was built in 1899. The precursors of the current power plant went into service in 1950 (unit 1) and in 1956 and 1958 (units 2 and 3). Block 1 was shut down in 1982 and demolished in 1985. Blocks 2 and 3 were shut down and demolished in 1993. Block 4 is a 200 MW gas-fired unit. Unit 1 was replaced by a new coal unit in 1985 (unit 5) and units 2 and 3 by a new unit in 1997 (known as Altbach-2). The plant is owned and operated by EnBW AG.
- Sponsor: Energie Baden-Württemberg
- Parent company: EnBW AG
- Location: Altbach, Esslingen, Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany
- Coordinates: 48.717185, 9.37079 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 855 MW (Unit 5: 379 MW, Altbach-2: 476 MW)
- Start date: 1985 (Unit 5), 1997 (Altbach-2)
- Type: Subcritical
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- "Altbach Coal Power Plant Germany," GEO, accessed Jan 2018