Affinity Mine is a coal mining operation near Sophia in Raleigh County, West Virginia. The mine was closed in 1985 but bought in 2010 by United Coal Company, which cited rising demand for metallurgical coal. United Coal plans to spend $115 million to rehabilitate the former Eastern Associated Coal company mine. The mine will be operated by Affinity Coal Co., and is expected to be in operation by July 2010. Company officials believe the mine has enough reserves to produce coal for about 25 years. United Coal is a division of Ukraine-based Metinvest.
- MSHA ID:
- Operator: Affinity Coal Co.
- Controller: United Coal Company
- County: Raleigh
- State: WV
- Production (short tons):
- Coal Type: Metallurgical
- Mining Method:
- Mine Status: To be opened in July 2010
- Average No. of Employees: est. 254
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- West Virginia and coal
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- "W.Va. met coal mine closed in 1985 to reopen" Boston Herald, Oct. 22, 2010.
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration