ALEC Governmental Groups
ALEC is a corporate bill mill. It is not just a lobby or a front group; it is much more powerful than that. Through ALEC, corporations hand state legislators their wishlists to benefit their bottom line. Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations. They pay for a seat on ALEC task forces where corporate lobbyists and special interest reps vote with elected officials to approve “model” bills. Learn more at the Center for Media and Democracy's ALECexposed.org, and check out breaking news on our PRWatch.org site.
The alphabetical list below contains the names of governmental groups that are known to be, or to have been, American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) members or supporters. Find for-profite corporations here; corporate trade groups here; and other special interest groups here. You can add to these lists if you cite your source. The corporations known to be currently involved with ALEC, as of July 2011, appear in BOLD. You can find corporations that have cut ties to ALEC here and legislators who have cut ties to ALEC here.
- "Embassy of Bahrain', Exhibitor at ALEC's 2011 Annual Conference
- House Rural Caucus, ALEC 2011 Annual Meeting Louisiana Host Committee member
- Louisiana Seafood Promotion & Marketing Board (funded by "license sales to Louisiana commercial fishermen and seafood wholesalers/retailers, as well as state and federal grants"), "Vice Chairman" level sponsor of 2011 ALEC Annual Conference ($25,000 in 2010)
- LouisianaTravel.com (official tourism site of Louisiana), "Director" level sponsor of 2011 ALEC Annual Conference ($10,000 in 2010)
- U.S. Department of Defense Federal Voting Assistance Program, ALEC Public Safety and Elections Task Force member
- American Legislative Exchange Council, "Solutions for the States," 38th Annual Meeting agenda, on file with CMD, August 3-6, 2011
- Louisiana Seafood Promotion & Marketing Board, About Us, organizational website, accessed August 8, 2011
- American Legislative Exchange Council, 2011 Conference Sponsors, conference brochure on file with CMD, August 4, 2011
- American Legislative Exchange Council, Sponsorship Opportunities at ALEC's Annual Meeting, organizational website, 2010, archived on the Wayback Machine, accessed January 24, 2012
- American Legislative Exchange Council, "Public Safety and Elections Task Force Meeting," agenda and meeting materials, August 4, 2011, on file with CMD