Spring Creek Mine
Spring Creek Mine is a surface operation near Decker, Montana, owned by Cloud Peak Energy.
The mine was previously owned by Rio Tinto Energy America. In 2008 Rio Tinto spun the most significant of its Powder River Basin coal assets -- including the Spring Creek Mine -- off into Cloud Peak Energy, a company in which Rio Tinto has a 48.3% stake.
Cloud Peak Energy to ship more Powder River Basin coal to Asia
In June, 2011 Cloud Peak Energy signed a 10-year deal to ship basin coal to Asia from a port on Canada’s Pacific Coast. Cloud Peak Energy Inc. signed the deal with Westshore Terminals to ship coal through its Westshore Terminal in Vancouver, British Columbia. The company shipped 3.3 million tons of coal through the terminal to Asian customers in 2010. Cloud Energy operates the Antelope Coal Mine, Cordero Rojo Mine, Spring Creek Mine, Decker Mine, and Jacobs Ranch Mine in the Powder River Basin.
- Owner: Spring Creek Coal Company
- Parent company: Cloud Peak Energy
- Location: Montana, near Decker
- GPS coordinates: 45.06 N, 106.77W
- Production: 15,712,091 short tons
- Type of coal:
- Mine type: Surface
- Number of employees: 185
Articles and resources
- Rio Tinto, 2009 Annual Report: Production & reserves: Group mines: Energy", Rio Tinto website, 2010.
- "Cloud Peak Energy to send more Powder River Basin coal to Asia" Jeremy Fugleberg, Star-Tribune, June 15, 2011.
Related SourceWatch articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Montana and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- Rio Tinto's coal interests
- U.S. coal politics
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map: