Mmamantswe Coal Project
The Mmamantswe Coal Project is a proposed coal mine and power station in Botswana.
The map below shows the approximate location where the plant would be built, 70 km north of Gabarone.
The Mmamantswe Coal Project is in south-eastern Botswana, an area that has been estimated to contain 895 million tonnes of probable reserves. The mine and plant were initially proposed by the Perth, Australia headquartered energy company, the Aviva Corporation. In July 2013 the project was sold to African Energy Resources.
An EIA was approved for the project by the Government of Botswana in October 2012.
In June 2007 Aviva Corporation entered into a heads of agreement with Mawana Minerals (Pty) Ltd of Botswana to form a joint venture over the Mmamantswe Coal Project. On its website the company states that it will "spend $US0.5M over 18 months upon which Mawana will grant it an exclusive right to earn a 90% Joint Venture interest in the project by undertaking a Bankable Feasibility Study." The coal deposit has not been explored since 1983 but the company states that the earlier exploration indicated three coal seams between 30 and 110 metres deep.
Despite limited information on the actual coal deposit, in June 2008 Aviva optimistically submitted an expression of interest to provide "1,000MW of baseload power production" to Eskom, the South African government-owned electricity utility, between 2012 and 2017.
The company has stated that its "team of energy experts" charged with developing the Coolimba Power Station project would also help "advance the Mmamantswe Project".
- Sponsor: African Energy Resources
- Parent company:
- Location: Gabarone, Bosnia
- Coordinates: -24.4020965, 26.5731812 (approximate)
- Status: Permitted
- Gross Capacity: 300 MW
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Mmamantswe Coal Project," African Energy Resources, accessed February 2014
- "CAPITAL RAISING AND1.3 BT COAL PROJECT ACQUISITION," Africa Energy Resources, 29 April 2013
- "African Energy completes the acquisition of 1.3Bt Mmamantswe Coal project in Botswana," Proactive Investors, July 10, 2013.
- Aviva Corporation, "Mmamantswe Coal Project", Aviva Corporation website, accessed August 2008.
- Aviva Corporation, "Power EOI Submitted to Eskom", Media Release, June 19, 2008.