Jaxon Van Derbeken
In June 2009, Van Derbeken was awarded a Eugene Katz Award For Excellence in the Coverage of Immigration by the Center for Immigration Studies.
In response, two San Francisco attorneys, Angela Chan and Martha Bridegam, wrote that "rather than congratulate themselves on receiving such an award, Van Derbeken and his editors should be asking themselves if the praise from CIS shows they went too far in slanting those anti-sanctuary stories against immigrants ... The paper should have tipped off readers that CIS is not a neutral think tank, but a strongly partisan organization that has been criticized as racist and vehemently anti-immigrant."
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- "Jaxon Van Derbeken", LinkedIn, accessed July 2009.
- Mark Krikorian, Executive Director, Center for Immigration Studies '2009 Eugene Katz Award For Excellence in the Coverage of Immigration", Center for Immigration Studies, June 5, 2009.
- Center for Immigration Studies, "2009 Katz Award Ceremony", Center for Immigration Studies, June 5, 2009.
- Angela Chan and Martha Bridegam‚ "Should the SF Chronicle Be Proud of its Award?", Beyond Chron.org, June 19‚ 2009.
- Steven T. Jones and Sarah Phelan, "The Nativists are Restless", San Francisco Bay Guardian, July 1, 2009.
- Andrea Nill, "SF Chronicle Reporter Honored By Anti-Immigrant Group Blamed For Hate Crimes", Think Progress site, "Wonk Room" blog, June 20, 2009.
- Carlos Villarreal and Angela Chan‚ "Police and Feds Set Tone for Chronicle Attack of Sanctuary Ordinance", BeyondChron, Aug. 13‚ 2008.
- Gabriel Voiles, "Racist Group Plies Journalists With Honors, Cash", Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting (FAIR) blog, June 23, 2009.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|