CRT/Tanaka is a Virginia-based independent public relations firm. It was formed when Carter Ryley Thomas Public Relations & Marketing Counsel acquired the consumer PR agency Patrice Tanaka & Company, Inc. (PT&Co.).  An October 2005 press release announcing the merger noted, "CRT’s union with PT&Co. creates an agency with approximately $10.5 million in combined fees." 
The firm focuses on consumer, health and corporate issues, with accounts in "sports marketing, beauty, fashion, home furnishings, health, food & beverage and financial." 
In April 2009, CRT/Tanaka purchased the social media firm Livingston Communications, making it CRT's office in Washington, DC. Firm founder Geoff Livingston will become a senior vice-president of CRT. Livingston's services include "blogging and social networking engagement, product marketing, SEO [search engine optimization], content development and blogger relations," according to O'Dwyer's. Its clients include Ford, the Consumer Electronics Show, General Dynamics, Save Darfur and the United Way. 
In March 2009, CRT/Tanaka acquired the food PR specialist firm Lewis & Neale.  After the merger, L&N continued "to operate separately as a subsidiary with current president Anita Fial at the helm," reported O'Dwyer's. The firm's clients include the U.S. Apple Association, Florida Tomato Committee, Kraft, Lea & Perrins and the European Union Products Campaign. 
Income and employee totals
PR Week ranked CRT/Tanaka as the thirty-second largest independent PR agency in the United States in 2008, with 2007 revenue of $10,515,113, a 13% increase from the previous year's total revenue of $9,330,641. The ranking also notes its staff total of 71 (2006 total: 61), with $148,100 in revenue per employee.
- All-Clad Metalcrafters
- Altec Lansing Technologies
- Atkins Nutritionals
- Capital One
- Carpet One
- Charles Schwab & Co.
- Chick-fil-A Kyle Petty Charity Ride
- Council for Responsible Nutrition 
- Girl Scouts of the USA
- Mercedes-Benz USA
- PGA TOUR
- Sprint Nextel
- Target Stores
- Wines from Rioja (Spain)
- Mark Raper - Chair and CEO
- Patrice Tanaka - Co-Chair, Chief Creative Officer and Consumer Practice Leader
- Mike Mulvihill - President
- Maria Kalligeros - Executive Vice President
- Ellen LaNicca Albanese - Executive Vice President
- Brian Ellis - Executive Vice President - Health Practice
- Michael Whitlow - Senior Vice President - Corporate/B2B Practice
- Evelyn Calleja - Senior Vice President and Director of Workplace Culture
- Debbie Myers - Senior Vice President
- Jeff Thomas - Chief Financial Officer
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- "CRT Acquires Social Media Firm," O'Dwyer's PR Daily (sub req'd), April 9, 2009.
- "CRT Acquires Food PR Specialists," O'Dwyer's PR Daily (sub req'd), March 3, 2009.
- "2008 Agency Rankings," PR Week, 28 April 2008.
- Firm press release, "CARTER RYLEY THOMAS ACQUIRES PATRICE TANAKA & COMPANY, INC.: Combines Forces of Two of PR Industry’s Leading Mid-Sized," October 12, 2005.
- Keith O’Brien, "Atkins Nutritionals hires CRT/tanaka as it alters brand messaging," PR Week (sub req'd), January 19, 2006.