Environmentally Conscious Consumers for Oil Shale
This article is part of the Center for Media & Democracy's spotlight on front groups and corporate spin.
Environmentally Conscious Consumers for Oil Shale (ECCOS) calls itself "a community-based organization," but is actually a front group affiliated with numerous energy companies and energy-industry advocacy organizations. ECCOS was organized for the energy industry by Curtis Moore of the political astroturf organizing firm EIS Solutions, which works out of the same address as ECCOS and attorney Curtis Moore.
On its Web site, it lists among its "affiliates" the energy industry front group Americans for American Energy (AAE), the oil companies EnShale, Inc. and Shell Exploration and Production Company and the activist group Partnership for America, whose national chair, the former U.S. Rep. Richard Pombo (R-CA), sponsored a 2006 bill to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling, and, according to the Los Angeles Times, "attempt[ed] to dismantle the Endangered Species Act."
As of November, 2009, the group's Web site did not list an address, telephone number or other contact information.  By December, 2010, the information was included, and showed the "group" shared the same address as the political astroturf firm EIS Solutions and Grand Junction attorney Curtis Moore.
Fooling the media
- In a November 30, 2010 article about impending oil shale development in western Colorado, the local newspaper, the Grand Junction Daily Sentinel (Grand Junction, Colorado) failed to accurately identify ECCOS as an industry-organized and promoted group.
ECCOS does not publicly reveal its funders.
- ↑ Colorado Media Matters Rocky failed to identify "consumer" oil shale advocacy group as affiliated with energy companies and lobbyists June 20, 2008
- ↑ Environmentally Conscious Consumers for Oil Shale Contact Us Web page, accessed November 26, 2009
- ↑ Gary Harmon Water there to start oil shale work, GAO says, Grand Junction, Colorado Daily Sentinel], November 30, 2010
- ↑ Environmentally Conscious Consumers for Oil Shale Who is ECCOS?, organizational Web page, accessed December 6, 2010
- ↑ Environmentally Conscious Consumers for Oil Shale Contact ECCOS, organizational Web page, accessed December 6, 2010
- ↑ Grand Junction Daily Sentinel Business Directory EIS Solutions, accessed December 6, 2010
- ↑ Mesa County Court/21st Judicial District Home Page List of Attorneys in Mesa County, accessed December 6, 2010 (Excel spreadsheet)